What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband speed tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max0603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that when I do a speed test on my laptop I achieve 38 Mbps, we are on Virgin media, but a speed test on my ipad1 and the wife's ipad2 only achieves 10-15 Mbps? We are using a newer 'N' router. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While the iPad supports N routers, it does not support the whole shebang. Without going into the technical details (which I don't remember anyway) your laptop probably supports the full spec, which includes multiple data channels and other speed enhancing tricks. The iPad can handle the 'n' frequencies and modes, but only handles one, maybe two channels. As I said, I don't remember exactly.

Or as sjleworthy said, it's a hardware limit.

akaroads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that some sort of T1 connection or something as my lowly broadband connection is clocking around 5Mbps if the stars are in alignment.

Sent from my iPad 32/3G using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that when I do a speed test on my laptop I achieve 38 Mbps, we are on Virgin media, but a speed test on my ipad1 and the wife's ipad2 only achieves 10-15 Mbps? We are using a newer 'N' router. Any ideas?
It may or may not have any effect, but try setting your router to 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n or 802.11b/g compatible and see if that changes your iPad's connection speed.

I can constantly get 25Mbps down and 22.5Mbps up on our Macs and about 18 to 19Mbps down and 16 to 18Mbps up on our iPad using the "Automatic" setting (which is 802.11b/g/n) on our Airport Extreme. Of course it all depends on what part of our house the iPad is in. I conduct the tests (http://www.speedtest.net/mobile.php) with the iPad in the same room as the WiFi router.

As twerppoet points out, the iPad's WiFi system is not equal to those used in computers (in large part to save battery power). However I'd agree that yours should be doing better if you have a decent signal.

Kabuki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you check your iPad broadband speed?
I recommend speed of me!
speedof.me is an awesome html5 speed test website which works on iPhone and iPad without installing anything.

tallat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi kabuki,

I checked my internet speed at Scanmyspeed.com .I got accurate results
My speed test results are
Download speed:2.23Mbps
Upload speed:0.749Mbps

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's mine, courtesy of speedtest.

image-3977860456.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
While the iPad supports N routers, it does not support the whole shebang. Without going into the technical details (which I don't remember anyway) your laptop probably supports the full spec, which includes multiple data channels and other speed enhancing tricks. The iPad can handle the 'n' frequencies and modes, but only handles one, maybe two channels. As I said, I don't remember exactly.

Or as sjleworthy said, it's a hardware limit.

My iPad 3 is every bit as fast at downloads from the Internet as any device on the same WiFi network in my house. Internet downloads are limited by my ISP. Other devices have faster speeds over the internal network.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
My iPad 3 is every bit as fast at downloads from the Internet as any device on the same WiFi network in my house. Internet downloads are limited by my ISP. Other devices have faster speeds over the internal network.

In my own defense, there was no iPad 3 when I made that post.

I've noticed better speeds on the new iPad, though I don't know if it has anything to do with hardware or software changes. I also went back to my Apple Extreme router, and my ISP equipment recently received an update; which probably has something to do with it.

wernus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had same speed issues and I found that most routers have a QoS setting...quality of service. It limits any single wireless connection from hogging all the available bandwidth. This is designed to help an open network allow all users a decent speed. I disabled the setting on my N router and went from 5mbps to almost 30!!!!

avanthika

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Internet speed test results are,
Download Speed: 18.89 Mbps
Upload Speed:0.795 Mbps.
I perform this test from

Moderation notice:This post has been edited by ipadforums staff in accordance with theForum RulesNo External Links

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have Verizon FIOS and pay for 50 Mbps service. My SpeedTest result is always around ~42 Mbps on my iPad 3 and that is with their OEM router :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts