What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet speed test?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, my internet service is 300 mbps download. My 2 year old iPad Pro is pulling between 250-300 mbps download, but my XS max, although is very fast with internet, it’s only pulling 40-50 mbps download. I’m using a speed test from App Store. Why such a big difference between these devices? Thanks
I also posted this in the iPhone forum.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could possibly be because of differences in the WiFi antennas on each device. Are you testing each device at the same distance from the router?

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It could possibly be because of differences in the WiFi antennas on each device. Are you testing each device at the same distance from the router?
Yes I am..I mean I couldn’t complain how fast the XS already is, just wondering. It could be what you’re saying.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I am..I mean I couldn’t complain how fast the XS already is, just wondering. It could be what you’re saying.

Hello - first, you have an envious speed for many here, i.e. 300 Mbps - I have a Spectrum account (aka Time-Warner & RoadRunner) at 100 Mbps (could get more speed at a higher price) - just tested my iPad Pro (new one w/ USB-C and no HOME button) right next to my Apple AirPort Extreme router - 70 Mbps (rarely reach the expected maximum); then checked my new iPhone XR in same location, only 24 Mbps - surprised myself! Used the Ookla Speedtest app - on both tests, I was connected to my home network's 2.4 GHz broadband and both used the same server, so items to check in your situation. I have no explanation at the moment, but will enjoy others' observations and comments. Dave :)

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello - first, you have an envious speed for many here, i.e. 300 Mbps - I have a Spectrum account (aka Time-Warner & RoadRunner) at 100 Mbps (could get more speed at a higher price) - just tested my iPad Pro (new one w/ USB-C and no HOME button) right next to my Apple AirPort Extreme router - 70 Mbps (rarely reach the expected maximum); then checked my new iPhone XR in same location, only 24 Mbps - surprised myself! Used the Ookla Speedtest app - on both tests, I was connected to my home network's 2.4 GHz broadband and both used the same server, so items to check in your situation. I have no explanation at the moment, but will enjoy others' observations and comments. Dave :)
Yeah 300 mbps is too much actually. So you’re test is coming up the same as mine, iPad registers higher on the test, probably normal.

Most reactions