What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borders near bankruptcy after e-books weigh it down

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Their in-store books (here in Sydney anyway) are more expensive than what I can find online (or elsewhere), their online store is frequently unable to obtain titles I want, and generally the most uncompetitive and slowest to react/adapt among the bookstore chains. They haven't lost sales from me because I've spent my money elsewhere on eBooks, but rather, I'd buy elsewhere because it's cheaper and/or available.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it's even a business model issue (since they have also opened an online store and also launched their own eBooks reader.)

Where they fall over are the basics: price (they are one of the most expensive) and selection (they don't offer much, even in their online shop), whereas customers who are not in a hurry to get their items can go to Book Depository or Amazon etc and get stuff for a fraction of the price and delivered to their door.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree, their books are expensive, and it takes a while for them to get the new released books. Target will get them quicker and cheaper.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go to Borders just for the cafe and to read magazines. every so often I have purchased a book when they have what I want in stock, which has 7/10 times seemed to be never. But even their magazine selection has really slimmed down. There's never any shortage of people in store in the cafe though, but how many are buying actual printed books is beyond me. A friend of mine just bought a print book from Amazon because she was like, thank you, less expensive. I do still like to peruse Borders and B&N. I still like to see what they have in print, and I always end up getting a coffee drink or something. But yeah, I wonder how much of this has to do with e-readers being on the market, as not all books can be bought in e-editions either, etc. A lot of variables.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You want to have some fun in a bookstore? Try and get a recent release for full price. The police could take lessons from them on interrogating people:

epb: I'd like to buy this, please.
Borders: Are you a rewards member?
epb: No.
Borders: Would like to be?
epb: No, thank you.
Borders: Only takes a second.
Borders: All we need is your e-mail address!
epb: NO. Thank you.
Borders: This will be full price!
epb: I'm comfortable with that.
Borders: Don't you want to save money?
epb: If that's a concern for you guys, you could just lower the price of the books.
Borders: Oh, we can't do that.
epb: Right. So I'll pay full price.
Borders: It's just - you've been coming here for years now. Why not register?
epb: Commitment issues. It's tragic, really.
Borders: You can save on magazines, too!
epb: Sweetie, I'd really like to buy this book in less time than I could get it shipped from Amazon, and I'm referring to their branch in Tunisia. Whaddaya say?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its a store that sells books, movies, music and coffee.....with a starbucks on every corner they are completely redundant!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You want to have some fun in a bookstore? Try and get a recent release for full price. The police could take lessons from them on interrogating people:

epb: I'd like to buy this, please.
Borders: Are you a rewards member?
epb: No.
Borders: Would like to be?
Borders: Only takes a second.
Borders: All we need is your e-mail address!
epb: NO. Thank you.
Borders: This will be full price!
epb: I'm comfortable with that.
Borders: Don't you want to save money?
epb: If that's a concern for you guys, you could just lower the price of the books.
Borders: Oh, we can't do that.
epb: Right. So I'll pay full price.
Borders: It's just - you've been coming here for years now. Why not register?
epb: Commitment issues. It's tragic, really.
Borders: You can save on magazines, too!
epb: Sweetie, I'd really like to buy this book in less time than I could get it shipped from Amazon, and I'm referring to their branch in Tunisia. Whaddaya say?

lmao. That is perfect and true. It is almost as hard to buy a cup of coffee at any major gas station in the morning without going through the same thing.

Most reactions

Latest posts