What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth stereo headphones for my iPad 2?

Ser182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking up on TSA website there is no mention of blue toothed equipment be banned or prohibited. I use them all the time with no problems.

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great information; when I started reading I thought I would need to get wired buds for flying. It looks like that won't be necessary. Thank you.

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking up on TSA website there is no mention of blue toothed equipment be banned or prohibited. I use them all the time with no problems.

That is good news, I shall draw this to the attention of my cabin crew next time they try to tell me to turn my head set off in flight, AFTER THE SEAT BELT WARNING SIGN GOES OFF, of course.
Sometimes I think that some cabin crew exert their authority for the sake of it and annoy their passengers because they can.
Sure, I listen and watch the pre flight performance every time, but after that I want to be left alone except for drinks and meals thank you very much.
The only way to get through sometimes a 12 hour leg is to switch off and go into your own space.
BTW Plantronics are great, but if only they were noise cancelling, they would be the BEST.

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ser182 said:

In-flight is not a TSA thing. It is an FAA thing.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ser182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked on the FAA website it makes no mention to Bluetooth head phones. I use their search function with no luck. If you google it stories do come up but none with FAA website. So not sure what to believe. I use them all the time and never been told to power them down. I fly continental.

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ser182 said:
I have looked on the FAA website it makes no mention to Bluetooth head phones. I use their search function with no luck. If you google it stories do come up but none with FAA website. So not sure what to believe. I use them all the time and never been told to power them down. I fly continental.

I tried to find it, also. You would think they would make it easy to find. I think I would check the back of the in- flight magazine. Also, FWIW, when the iPad is in airplane mode, the Bluetooth is off.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is probably left up to individual airlines to set their own policy. If it's any help, I found the information for Continental Airlines here. It's not as comprehensive as the BA info I quoted above, so you may want to contact them direct and ask specific questions.

ulgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ulgw.com
Expensive choice, but Sennheiser's MM 550 are a great choice. Bluetooth and noise cancelling. Been beating Bose noise cancelling headphones in tests.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just buy the Bose ear buds for the iPhone 4. Sure they have a cable buy wow the sound is out of this world.

NYLTiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind, these same people tell you they can't push back until your seat belt is bucked then after they push back they instruct you how to buckle your seatbelt. It does not have to make sense. :)

crabbypilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me try to clear some things up. I am an airline pilot, and I deal with this everyday.

I do not know the FAA's position on Bluetooth headsets, but I do not they have restricted bluetooth headsets for flight crews to the point where no one is trying to manufacture them. That may give an idea on their position.

There have been cases of electronic devices interfering with aircraft systems, the only ones I know off are communication systems. In fact if you are on an iPhone and on at&t we can here incoming calls in our radios. We still uses antiquated HF radios when traveling over the ocean and something as simple as a cassette player spinning magnetic tape could interfere with communication. Is it going to be enough to take an airplane down? Not in the slightest, but it could cause distractions. Now that being said, we have made groundbreaking advancements in aircraft systems and operations. I know of no cases within the past 20 years where electronic devices have interfered with aircraft systems. I do not know the FAA stance, but if there is a possibility of interference when flying they remove all issues. This would mean no electronic devices for the critical phases of flight.

Bluetooth operates on a frequency not even close to what we use for communication, navigation, and aircraft serial bus communication. There is virtually no way there would be an interference. I have been on a few flights where I know, for sure, there was usage of a bluetooth device. Yes the penalty is a fine in the amount of 25,000 for non compliance, but when was the last time you heard that being enforced. Besides do you really think the flight attendant knows, or cares, that you are using a wired headset vs a bluetooth one?

I have heard the plantronics are pretty solid headphones. Eventually I am going to get a pair as I wand the earbuds so I can use them while riding and other various things. I have read many places that the motorollas last about a year and then malfunction in some way.

crabby

fairythere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Crabbypilot, that was a great explanation! Btw - I never did play the cassette player when they said not to, figured I'd rather not find out what might really happen! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a set of Bluetooth headphones for my iPad 2 but find that when I change to a different program the speaker comes back on with the result my wife shouting at me ....turn that down !!!

Do other people find this happens ?

Most reactions