What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth GPS

bluechip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to get GPS position data into my IPAD2 and I think Bluetooth is the way to go.
does anyone have any recommendations?
Could I use the GPS in my Bluetooth Android smartphone?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot receive Bluetooth GPS on the iPad as the iPad's Bluetooth profile set does not support this. However, there are a number of third-party GPS receivers that can interface to the iPad, either by WiFi or USB.

Tim

rmiller4292

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot receive Bluetooth GPS on the iPad as the iPad's Bluetooth profile set does not support this. However, there are a number of third-party GPS receivers that can interface to the iPad, either by WiFi or USB.

Tim

Not true. There at least three Bluetooth gps units designed to work with iOS devices.

XGPS150 by Dual
BadElf
GNS5870

Check them out.

Ryan

OP
B

bluechip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, the iOS devices are very expensive.

what wifi devices work?

rmiller4292

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You were asking about Bluetooth gps units...these three are all about $100 each. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about with wifi devices??

OP
B

bluechip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was asking about gps data into an iPad and suggested that Bluetooth would do it.
Someone else suggested wifi or USB and I was asking what gps devices support that.
Ok?

rmiller4292

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe that you can make a USB gps unit work with the iPad. As far as wifi, I haven't heard about any wifi gps units at all. The three I listed are designed to work with the Bluetooth protocol that apple uses. There are several Bluetooth gps units available on the market that simply won't work with apple devices that have not been jail broken.

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External Gps vs Internal GPS

I have an IPAD 1 with wifi and 3G that has an internal GPS. I am a pilot that uses the iPad for secondary tracking of flights. The internal gps works ok during low altitude flights but seems to go out and back in as I climb to higher altitudes. I understand that there are a few devices like the Bad Elf GPS that will work at higher altitudes and at greater speeds. But the reviews I have read state that you need to have an iPad WITHOUT gps for it to work.

Is there a way to disable the internal gps?

Is there a flight map out there that will allow you to use an external gps devise to over ride the internal gps?

Is there another product similar to the Bad Elf GPS that will work with my iPad?

Is my only solution is to get another iPad without gps?

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Not true. There at least three Bluetooth gps units designed to work with iOS devices.

XGPS150 by Dual
BadElf
GNS5870

Check them out.

Ryan

My apologies! I will make a note of these. Much appreciated.

Tim

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gardavin said:
I have an IPAD 1 with wifi and 3G that has an internal GPS. I am a pilot that uses the iPad for secondary tracking of flights. The internal gps works ok during low altitude flights but seems to go out and back in as I climb to higher altitudes. I understand that there are a few devices like the Bad Elf GPS that will work at higher altitudes and at greater speeds. But the reviews I have read state that you need to have an iPad WITHOUT gps for it to work.

Is there a way to disable the internal gps?

Is there a flight map out there that will allow you to use an external gps devise to over ride the internal gps?

Is there another product similar to the Bad Elf GPS that will work with my iPad?

Is my only solution is to get another iPad without gps?

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Is there not a setting within your tracking software to select an external GPS dongle?

I just looked through my ipad 2 settings, can't see where you can disable internal gps, so could Ganzolo simply turn off location services in settings to disable the internal gps, then use the preferred external compatible gps dongle?

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PCUK,

Do you know if you can disable the internal gps and use an elf type gps? As us can see from my post above, I am unable to get consistent service from the internal gps as it track by towers where the Bad Eld tracks by satalite. I am tring to figure out if I can modify my existing iPad 1 with gps or if I need to pass this one on and purchase another without gps and purchase the bad elf separately. I look forward to hearing your thoughts....

Gonzalo

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I can disable the internal gps, will the bad elf external gps work correctly and substitute the built-in gps? That will be the ultimate goal. Thanks,

Gonzalo

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jWt873,

If I disable the internal gps as you state, and insert an external gps as in Bad Elf, will it work properly by only using the Bad Elf. Thanks,
gonzalo

Most reactions

Latest posts