What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocked from downloading Dragon Dictate

rodash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad and I find that, because I live in Australia, I'm being blocked from downloading and using the one application I wanted to use.

I'm a writer and the idea of being able to use Dragon Dictate on an iPad appealed very much. So much so that I bought an iPad. But then I find that because I don't reside in the US or Canada, I can't download the software. If I had known I couldn't use this app then I wouldn't have bought the iPad.

This is very disappointing on Apple's part. There was no mention anywhere - either on the iTunes site or the Nuance site - that I would not be able to access the Dragon Dictate app.

I don't know why Apple does this to its customers. It's misleading and frustrating, and it's treating valued customers poorly.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
its not apple.

the person or company that makes the app gets to decide what country they would like to make the app available to.

You can try doing this.
Open itunes on your PC.
log out of your itunes account
go to the itunes app store
change the country at the very bottom to USA
click to download a free app like dragon dictation
when it asks you to log into your account select to create a new account.
setup a new itunes account for the USA.
since you were trying to download a free app when it asks for payment info you will be able to select NONE.

you now have a USA itunes account for purchasing free apps in the USA app store.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its not apple.

the person or company that makes the app gets to decide what country they would like to make the app available to.

You can try doing this.
Open itunes on your PC.
log out of your itunes account
go to the itunes app store
change the country at the very bottom to USA
click to download a free app like dragon dictation
when it asks you to log into your account select to create a new account.
setup a new itunes account for the USA.
since you were trying to download a free app when it asks for payment info you will be able to select NONE.

you now have a USA itunes account for purchasing free apps in the USA app store.

Yeah I have a variety of iTunes accounts including a US account and I live in Ireland. You can also purchase American $ iTunes vouchers on ebay. I didn't use the above method and can't confirm it will work (it might well do) or not but there are other ways if you just google it.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if it's checking what country you are in when you make the attempt. I use blackVPN so that I can stream stuff from tvcatchup which only works "in the UK." It's a relatively cheap way to appear in either Europe or the US.

Use this code and get three months for the price of one: KENRQXB

If the account thing described above works, then I'd go that route of course :)

effcee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad and I find that, because I live in Australia, I'm being blocked from downloading and using the one application I wanted to use.

I'm a writer and the idea of being able to use Dragon Dictate on an iPad appealed very much. So much so that I bought an iPad. But then I find that because I don't reside in the US or Canada, I can't download the software. If I had known I couldn't use this app then I wouldn't have bought the iPad.

This is very disappointing on Apple's part. There was no mention anywhere - either on the iTunes site or the Nuance site - that I would not be able to access the Dragon Dictate app.

I don't know why Apple does this to its customers. It's misleading and frustrating, and it's treating valued customers poorly.

I'm in Aus and I got it free from the US store. It works fine.

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@efcee: I think if you have a US itunes account you can download from anywhere in the world!

I have tried downloading Dragon Dictation and it says "this application is available only US store and not in Indian store"

I Guess Apple considers some people are more equal than others!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
@efcee: I think if you have a US itunes account you can download from anywhere in the world!

I have tried downloading Dragon Dictation and it says "this application is available only US store and not in Indian store"

I Guess Apple considers some people are more equal than others!

Read post number 2 above....

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made a mistake the first time I tried - I tried to create an account - the "Payment - None" option did not come up. screenshot attached.

After I selected a free app and tried to create a new account the "Payment - none" option came up.

Thank you MikesTooLz - that worked like a charm.

Thank you very much Bremen for pointing me to MikesTooLz post which made me re-read it!

Attachments

• payment.jpg
    payment.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 481

Most reactions