What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bits and Pieces of iOS 8 Scattered All Over The Place

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Which devices are compatible with Metal?

Metal is a developer tool for creating low level access to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). In theory, it should affect every device that runs iOS 8; providing the developer uses Metal in their app. It only makes sense to use it for games and other apps with heavy graphics.

I admit, this is half guess work, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm at least mostly right, and that Metal has little to do with hardware; other than making more efficient use of the GPU.

That said, I have no idea how much improvement you'd see on older devices.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Metal is a developer tool for creating low level access to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). In theory, it should affect every device that runs iOS 8; providing the developer uses Metal in their app. It only makes sense to use it for games and other apps with heavy graphics.

I admit, this is half guess work, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm at least mostly right, and that Metal has little to do with hardware; other than making more efficient use of the GPU.

That said, I have no idea how much improvement you'd see on older devices.

So it may also have effects on the iPad 2?

In other news I found an app called Launcher. It's basically makes apps, website, and contact shortcuts in the NC as a widget. It's mighty convenient.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So it may also have effects on the iPad 2?

In other news I found an app called Launcher. It's basically makes apps, website, and contact shortcuts in the NC as a widget. It's mighty convenient.

Yep. Maybe. But since it's only used in a very few games at this point, I doubt you'd notice.

I've heard of Launcher before, but never had a reason to try it. The widget part, that's new. I should check it out again.

Most reactions

Latest posts