What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handy List of Hidden Features in Apple's iOS 8

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ios-8-sign-wwdc-2014.png

The big WWDC announcement was yesterday and Apple had an amazing presentation. They talked about all of their big software announcements from the next Mac OS, Yosemite, to their next mobile OS, iOS 8. In reference to iOS 8, we found a super handy list of "hidden features" for the OS and wanted to share it with you. The folks at PC Magazine put this list together. It basically covers a plethora of options, features and functions which weren't the big focus at the presentation yesterday.

Here's the full scoop,

Accessibility Features

• Alex voice for accessibility
  • Braille keyboard for direct 6-dot braille input
  • Improved zoom for accessibility
  • Multi-device support for Made for iPhone (MFi) hearing aids
  • Touch ID to exit from Guided Access
App Enhancements

• Auto night mode in iBooks
  • DuckDuckGo support in Safari
  • Flyover city tours
  • iBooks built into iOS
  • Navigation for China
  • Private browsing per tab in Safari
  • Rich text editing in Notes
  • RSS feeds in Shared Links
  • See your books as a series in iBooks
  • Tips app
  • Vector maps in China
Camera Enhancements

• Camera timer
  • Instant burst mode
  • Panoramic photos on iPad
  • Separate focus and exposure in Camera
Other Features

• 24 new dictation languages
  • Battery usage by app
  • Hey, Siri
  • In Case of Emergency card
  • Indian, Tagalog, Irish Gaelic, and Slovenian keyboards
  • Lunar calendar support
  • New definition dictionaries
  • Purchase iTunes content with Siri
  • Shazam with Siri
  • Sneak screen
  • Travel time notifications
  • Wi-Fi calling
What do you guys think of this huge plethora of enhancements and improvements? It seems like the Apple engineers have been really "burning the midnight oil." We can't wait to see how all of these changes play out on the new iPhone.

Source: PC Magazine

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just great! Looking forward to updating my iPad3 and very happy for those people still enjoying their iPad2s.

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose apple can also make a few UI changes, like at least make the safari, photos, and Game Center and other horrible stock apps look pretty.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the sound of the Notes improvement; it's currently useful and used by me, but definitely ho-hum with regards to features. Battery usage by app sounds like it could be useful as well.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wifi calling? Hmmm.... That's interesting sounding. The rest is kind of meh for me but more features are better. I think. :)

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of it is nice. Not a lot that I'll use. I already use wifi calling with google voice. My phone rings on my iPad and I am able to answer. I look forward to checking out this new feature with Apple though, to see how it differs. I look forward to some of the keyboard enhancements. All in all looks like a nice update.

Most reactions

Latest posts