What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest annoyance with the iPad?

What are your biggest annoyances with the iPad? (4.2.1)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Being that I just purchased an Ipad yesterday I would have to say everything is a big annoyance, as this is my first time ever owning an Apple product. But the biggest annoyance for me so far is Flash support and learning Itunes.

Ditto here. Especially the iTunes part. Coming from a PC environment, I feel pretty constrained. But I'm still enjoying the experience overall.

This is probably a really rookie question.. but why is it I can't see the iPad in my Windows Explorer like all my other PCs on my wireless network? I have a static IP assigned to it. I can print from it. Why can't I see it in my network?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being that I just purchased an Ipad yesterday I would have to say everything is a big annoyance, as this is my first time ever owning an Apple product. But the biggest annoyance for me so far is Flash support and learning Itunes.

Ditto here. Especially the iTunes part. Coming from a PC environment, I feel pretty constrained. But I'm still enjoying the experience overall.

This is probably a really rookie question.. but why is it I can't see the iPad in my Windows Explorer like all my other PCs on my wireless network? I have a static IP assigned to it. I can print from it. Why can't I see it in my network?

Because Apple doesn't want you to be able to see it. Seriously. Pretty dumb huh?

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because Apple doesn't want you to be able to see it. Seriously. Pretty dumb huh?

Yes, and that's crazy if true. Why would Apple dumb-down the iPad? Just so they can sell the iPad 2, iPad 3, etc.?

Maybe I'm just not used to the Apple way of thinking.

Can you see the iPad in a Mac LAN?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a PC Windows 7 desktop and a MacBook Pro both hooked up on the same wireless network and they can see each other, but the neither computer shows the iPad as a network device.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

At least it shows up in my device list on my router!

Last edited:

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
speedlever said:
Yes, and that's crazy if true. Why would Apple dumb-down the iPad? Just so they can sell the iPad 2, iPad 3, etc.?

Maybe I'm just not used to the Apple way of thinking.

Can you see the iPad in a Mac LAN?

No you cannot. Can you see an iPhone or iPod touch or Android as a Windows Share? Ok, you can make an Android phone appear with an App, but most non PC devices don't do file sharing.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good question. I don't have any of those. I take it back, the kids have a couple of iTouches.. but I never thought to look for them in the network. So it's all a file sharing issue?

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The tiny amount of power available through the Camera Connection Kit - I can't power several devices I use regularly without a powered USB hub - something of which there is a conspicuous absence most places I use my iPad.

The iPad is supposed to be a "do stuff wherever you want" device. Without a decent power output it severely limits its usability unless I'm tied to my computer - which kind of defeats the purpose of having an iPad in the first place.

Oh- and the new OS has been out a while - shouldn't they have updated the user manual?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get how not showing as a network share is an annoyance. You can easily get it to it on the network with any one of dozens of apps... and from app store not just jailbreak.

But I for one think it would be a disaster to have the iPhone or iPad broadcast itself on a local network by default. How many people would be b1tching that they are exposed while at say Starbucks. You would have to have the same network security as in OSX or full blown Windows. Most people don't understand that on their laptop or desktop computers.... I can't see them suddenly getting it on an iOS device.

Leave it OFF the network. It's quite easy to get to the file system you are allowed to with iOS apps... and if you want more you can jailbreak and OpenSSH. If you are savvy enough to fully understand networks and network security you should be savvy enough to handle a jailbreak and SSH.

Michael

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll have to check into the available apps for this. But for now, there is no untethered JB for 4.2.1.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to check into the available apps for this. But for now, there is no untethered JB for 4.2.1.
Huh? I am running untethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 for the last two weeks... and was on my iPad until I updated to 4.3 b1.

There is a way to jb 4.3 on iPhone but it is embryonic and not quite stable enough for my tastes. But the 4.2.1 untethered jb is working fine now.

Michael

bigchicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having to use iTunes to sync. Even when I use some alternative program to bypass iTunes I inevitably have to go back to the trough to update the iOS. At which point I have to wait through a painful (unavoidable) backup process that scrambles the apps and media I have between the iPhone and iPad. Why can't Apple just have a simple file manager with an optional backup button instead of having to control everything and forcing you to do things in a highly specific and flawed way? </rant>

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Huh? I am running untethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 for the last two weeks... and was on my iPad until I updated to 4.3 b1.

There is a way to jb 4.3 on iPhone but it is embryonic and not quite stable enough for my tastes. But the 4.2.1 untethered jb is working fine now.

Michael

Either my info is out of date or you're talking about the Mac. Is there an untethered 4.2.1 JB for Windows?

See this thread for more info.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

Either my info is out of date or you're talking about the Mac. Is there an untethered 4.2.1 JB for Windows?

See this thread for more info.
You didn't say there is no untethered jb for windows. You simply said that "there is no untethered JB for 4.2.1."

So of course that was incorrect... as it is indeed possible and I am in fact running untethered 4.2.1 right now. Yes I used my Mac--though I usually use Windows more--but it's not like Macs are uncommon for Apple iOS devices. :)

If anything the biggest hurdle is needing saved 4.2b3 SHSH blobs. That is a deal killer no matter what platform you are using. :(

Michael

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My biggest annoyance Part II

I'd have to say my biggest annoyance NOW is that my seven-month-old iPad has simply died. It had a nearly full charge on it last evening, and now it will do absolutely nothing, and the PC does not even recognize that it's connected when I plug it in to a USB port. Any suggestions before I ship it back to Apple? I'm severely disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts