What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bible App recommendations?

Firewall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Morning

I'm hoping someone on here can recommend a Bible app for me, or if it's better to get one of the many book reading programs and get the Bible through there that works too.

So far I've tried using the YouVersion.com app and downloading a bible in iBooks

I feel like what I want is pretty simple, but can't find anything that offers it:

Ability to just highlight verse, with out creating a bookmark or attaching a note to it (like you can in iBooks)
Ability to create a note and attach multiple verses to that note
Easily add verses to an existing note

Less important, but a nice feature would be intelligent searching. So if I type Genesis 1:1 into the search bar it goes to that verse instead of searching the book for the words "Genesis 1:1"

YouVersion comes the closest so far. However it can't seem to handle multiple verses at once, for example if I want to add Genesis 1:1-3 to a note I have to add Genesis 1:1, Genesis 1:2 and Genesis 1:3 individually (Oddly, the Android version of the app doesnt work this way). Also if I'm reading and come across a verse I want to add an existing note it is a pretty painful process. (memorize the book/chapter/verse, go to home screen, notes, find note, edit, choose references, find verse again)

I would trade some of the note features for a tagging system. What I'm mainly trying to accomplish is how to find a collection of verses I like that relate to a specific topic (verses that relate to money for example).

I don't mind paying for an app if it actually has these features and the price is reasonable

Thanks for your help

Matthew

OP
F

Firewall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you looked into iBooks and getting a bible there? I know there is a search feature, but since I dont have/need a bible, I could not check for book:chapter:verse

I've tried that but the notes feature doesn't give me what I want unless I'm missing something. A note can only be attached to one verse or passage, where as I'd like to be able to have one note which may be attached to multiple verses several hundred pages apart.

It also doesn't do the searching as I described it if anyone else is considering going that route

Thanks,
Matthew

OP
F

Firewall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use the bible app from lifechurch.tv it's a free one and i've been using it. it enables you to highlight verses,and write notes. just look into the app store and type bible. choose the one from lifechurch.tv
Bible for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

That's actually the YouVersion.com app I described above. I believe YouVersion and LifeChurch are the same company or atleast jointly related.

I think in a couple more updates they might get to what I'm looking for. My two issues with it are multiple verses and how it handles adding a verse to an existing note. The multiple verses works in Android so I'd have to think they're working on it for the iOS version too.

Thanks,
Matthew

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the bible.is app best. Not only can you read it but it's also has the audio dramatized version so you can listen to it as well.

Sent from my iPad

Reaction score
Have you tried Olive Tree? I used to use that on my old Windows phone. Esword was my favorite Windows Bible, Tekarta is my favorite Android Bible and I've only tried YouVersion on my iPad so far as I really don't feel like paying $6 for something again just because I've got it on another os and the YouVersion is adequate

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

jps1012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a bible app that has NIV and is linked to the apple dictionary? I want to be able to quickly highlight a word and get the definition. I was thinking about buying a bible on ibooks but then I wouldn't get the benifits of an app (bible plans, etc). Thanks

B1marino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This. I have Logos and Olive Tree and believe Olive Tree would serve your needs. Last week they had NASB for free. IIRC, you get ESV and NKJV as well along with other books that may be of interest.

I'm also a fan of Olive Tree. I use it on my Android phone and IPad.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me too on the Olive tree - if you really want to study OT has it. In fact there is not a feature that it lacks IMO. The down side is some translations cost. $$ but it's all worth it to me just had to cut out a few sushi dinners.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

rosh1182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few I have installed that have not been mentioned are pocketbible and blueletterbible (blb). I agree that olive tree's biblereader is the best when considering features and price.

Most reactions

Latest posts