What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best weather/radar apps

merman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a weather app nut and have some pretty good ones. I use some for forecasts and others for radar. What's most important to me though is accurate / timely radar during severe weather. I have a couple apps I use during these times but I guess am always looking for the next best one. Every so often I search for that "next best one". Last night, I started reading the reviews for Radar Scope. I really read up on it due to its $10 price. I decided to buy it and installed It late last evening. I'm impressed with its radar definition and update speed right off the bat. I guess the real test will be during severe weather. I'll report again after the next storm.

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use NOAA Radar US - HD Weather Radar and Forecasts. Very good app.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
merman said:
I'm a weather app nut and have some pretty good ones. I use some for forecasts and others for radar. What's most important to me though is accurate / timely radar during severe weather. I have a couple apps I use during these times but I guess am always looking for the next best one. Every so often I search for that "next best one". Last night, I started reading the reviews for Radar Scope. I really read up on it due to its $10 price. I decided to buy it and installed It late last evening. I'm impressed with its radar definition and update speed right off the bat. I guess the real test will be during severe weather. I'll report again after the next storm.

This doesn't show the forecast, correct? I love the look of that radar, but would also like to see it include forecast information as well.

merman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dustrho said:
This doesn't show the forecast, correct? I love the look of that radar, but would also like to see it include forecast information as well.

It does not. My "first out" weather app is actually My-Cast but it is not designed for iPad use. Sure I can use it on my iPad but it's really doesn't look that great. My-Cast radar is very good but the forecasts are somewhat questionable.

Sent from my New iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been playing with Rain Aware (U.S. only I'm afraid).

It's kind of specific, trying to predict if it is going to rain at your current location within the next 3 hours, but I'm finding it useful. While not quite as accurate as the description suggests, it's closer than anything else I've seen. It has let me get the dog walked, or the steak grilled in between showers.

It has radar, but the radar is very local. It does long term forecasts, but they are no more accurate, and less detailed, than other apps.

I

islandman

Since discovering www.rain-alarm.com I have lost count how many people have thanked me for telling them about it.

It is free to windows & android (I feel obliged to say this then those with a pc/laptop can try it) but ios have to pay a small amount. BUT, you won't beat it.

Basically there are two options, one is to allow it to locate you, the other is to manually enter your location.

You are then faced with a zoomable map. On to which, are freeze frame radar pictures of rain clouds, whether they be approaching, over or passed. The frames are in half hourly frames, over a two hour period. This allows you to assess when the rain is due.

The radar is in various colours, depending on severity.

Because the map is zoomable, you are able to see how close it is. I have a friend that has a shop here on the coast, and he watches this rain-alarm and brings all his outside stuff back inside within half an hour of rain and other stores wonder how he knows.

Most reactions

Latest posts