What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to store huge amounts of date while on vacation where internet isn't?

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to iPad 3, got mine on the 16th, & have read many articles on external storage for tablets. My problem is I'm new so I need to understand my iPad 3 better. Here's what I know (or think I know!).

1. We will be in low internet access areas for 3 weeks. This rules out iCloud.
  2. My DSLR camera takes 1080P AVC video & RAW/JPEG photos up to 25Mb each.
  3. I'm estimating 125-150Gb of additional external storage. My iPad is 64Gb & I don't want to use it as storage.
  4. Hyperdrives (HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive) are expensive but seems to be the best option. Hyperdrive must have its own app to avoid using iTunes.
  5. I've read about satellite hard drives (GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate) but I believe I cannot transfer directly from the SDHC card to the WiFi hard drive. I believe the data must 1st be loaded to my iPad, then WiFi-ed to the satellite hard drive. Am I wrong? (I'm going on vacation to relax, not do the same step twice.)
  6. Some SDXC cards are big enough but are expensive too. Several smaller 32Gb cards would work & that might be the best option.

Anyway, I need to buy something & need advice which way to go. I do have other external drives at home but it's my understanding these wont work without hacking my iPad. Don't want to void my warranty!:eek:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could always take along enough memory cards to store all your still photos and deal with them when you return from vacation.For your movies,you will need some kind of external storage that will allow you to transfer your image files directly from your camera.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Camera Connection Kit & Seagate Satellite.

OP
G

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camera Connection Kit & Seagate Satellite.

I listed this in my post but maybe I don't understand exactly how this works.

I do have the Camera Connection Kit. So, can I transfer data from the SDHC directly to the Seagate Satellite or must data be transferred to the iPad 1st from the SDHC card, then WiFi-ed to the Seagate Satellite?:confused:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The latter. There is no way to get info off an SDHC card without a port.

I didn't see any mention of the camera connection kit in your post.

OP
G

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I listed this in my post but maybe I don't understand exactly how this works.

I do have the Camera Connection Kit. So, can I transfer data from the SDHC directly to the Seagate Satellite or must data be transferred to the iPad 1st from the SDHC card, then WiFi-ed to the Seagate Satellite?:confused:

The latter. There is no way to get info off an SDHC card without a port.

I didn't see any mention of the camera connection kit in your post.

Sorry, I didn't mention the camera connection kit in my 1st post. In my 2nd post I meant my reference to GoFlex Seagate Satellite in my 1st post.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can think of two things that might be a possibility. One is to buy a multimedia storage device. The other is what I do, and that is carry my laptop with me, but leave it behind at my room and download in downtime. You can also just get a card case and carry a lot of SD cards with you.

syedqurat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to All member,
This is really Great information for me and also more user, Thanks.

804JAZZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.804jazz.com
Seagate Go Flex gives you 500 Gb and is battery powered for on the go personal wi-fi. You and two others can simultaneously look at a movie on different devices. I've had one for about a week... Quirky but it works. Copy all your music, photos, movies, TV data from your desktop or laptop to your Go Flex. It will copy documents also... Has a car charger and USB charger. I purchased instead of optin for a 64 GB New iPad.. The only thing that is taking up space on my IPad 1 would be movies, photos and music.. Now I have access to All my media on the go with all of my Apple devices. My only complaint is it drops Wi-Fi and freezes up from time to time. Simple fix hold button in for thirty-forty seconds.. Light blinks once let go... It resets and everything is still in place ready to roll.. I think that it was the best deal because it's small enough to fit in your pocket.. About the size of a large Android phone.. Worked with my wife's Kindle too..

804JAZZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.804jazz.com
GARoss said:
I'm new to iPad 3, got mine on the 16th, & have read many articles on external storage for tablets. My problem is I'm new so I need to understand my iPad 3 better. Here's what I know (or think I know!).

[*]We will be in low internet access areas for 3 weeks. This rules out iCloud.
[*]My DSLR camera takes 1080P AVC video & RAW/JPEG photos up to 25Mb each.
[*]I'm estimating 125-150Gb of additional external storage. My iPad is 64Gb & I don't want to use it as storage.
[*]Hyperdrives (HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive) are expensive but seems to be the best option. Hyperdrive must have its own app to avoid using iTunes.
[*]I've read about satellite hard drives (GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate) but I believe I cannot transfer directly from the SDHC card to the WiFi hard drive. I believe the data must 1st be loaded to my iPad, then WiFi-ed to the satellite hard drive. Am I wrong? (I'm going on vacation to relax, not do the same step twice.)
[*]Some SDXC cards are big enough but are expensive too. Several smaller 32Gb cards would work & that might be the best option.

Anyway, I need to buy something & need advice which way to go. I do have other external drives at home but it's my understanding these wont work without hacking my iPad. Don't want to void my warranty!:eek:

Go Flex is $199 for 500 wifi - Hyperdrive is $399 for 250gb and it's usb? Go to Best Buy and talk to one of the smart kids... He told me don't get a bigger iPad get a WiFi drive! I said what? The app is free and it works... Plus you know they will keep Improving the app.. And the drive is pretty easy to update firmware... Go GoFlex for $199

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AFter looking at the Hyperdrives and given that they have slots for cards, that seems to be the best way to go. I've never used one, but it must have app support else it would be totally non-functional. You can get just the shell for $99 and add your own 2.5-inch sata drive, so if you have an old laptop drive someplace you can lower the cost. I have several I could use. This might be a good option for me, in fact, to get some low cost iPad storage for movies and photos.

Most reactions