What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best program to convert DVDs to mp4

Honeycrisp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the best program that is free to convert DVDs to mp4. Also are there any sites to download free movies in mp4 format ?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Handbrake is the biggest pile of dogsh*t on the face of the planet, at least if you are a Windows user. I can't speak for the Mac version...

I use Nero Recode after getting fed up with Handbrake failing at encoding anything from DVDs to AVIs. I haven't had a single issue with Recode.

But of course you get what you pay for, just like most things.

Handbrake = Free = Pile of Sh*t
Recode = Part of $70 suite = Good

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He did say free. :D

I got the Nero suite somewhere around here.....been packing lately and can't find 1/2 my crap anymore.....

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually missed where he asked for free...oh well you get what you pay for...

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CloneDVD Mobile. Best ripping/convertng program I have ever used.

Whoops....missed the free part.

What is the best program that is free to convert DVDs to mp4. Also are there any sites to download free movies in mp4 format ?

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just used Hand brake (on a Mac though) and for 1 DVD so far it worked flawlessly, even created chapter points.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really like handbrake but it could do with a slicker interface. Has that designed by a committee feel.
The Lifehacker site had some iPad settings which work well.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Hi, I just spent more than 500 bucks on a device, where can I get the cheapest way to convert movies for it?"

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry Matthew, I'm no help. I prefer to just buy stuff in iTunes, way more convenient that dealing with ripping, renaming, etc. And now I've found Handbrake which is working good for the stuff I can't find in iTunes.

Most reactions