What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best PDF Converter App

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for an app that converts .doc/.docx etc. to PDF, so I can write notes via PDF Exepert.

What is the best PDF converter for iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PDF Converter by the same people who make PDF Expert works fairly well, and offers some integration with PDF Expert.

Don't know if it's the best, because this one did what I needed and I stopped looking. Not cheap, so you may want to do some more shopping, but the best apps are seldom free or cheap.

Hmm, trying to figure out why the icon in the App Store looks different than the one on my iPad. Definitely the same app.

OP
S

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF Converter by the same people who make PDF Expert works fairly well, and offers some integration with PDF Expert.

Don't know if it's the best, because this one did what I needed and I stopped looking. Not cheap, so you may want to do some more shopping, but the best apps are seldom free or cheap.

Hmm, trying to figure out why the icon in the App Store looks different than the one on my iPad. Definitely the same app.

Thanks. I am willing to pay for these apps. Anybody else with pdf convertors, please post here... Looking to buy an app with versatility and functionality at the end of the week. Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am looking for an app that converts .doc/.docx etc. to PDF, so I can write notes via PDF Exepert.

What is the best PDF converter for iPad?

Well, just trying to see if I can make that format 'conversion' on my iPad which does not have a specific app for that purpose; one way was by using Pages which can certainly open *.doc & *docx files - with Pages opened, the small box (w/ an outgoing arrow) in the upper left corner will bring up an options menu; by selecting 'Open in Another App' then choosing a file, a PDF choice appears - the file is converted and question asked about 'which' app to use w/ multiple ones shown (e.g. iBooks, GoodReader, etc. on my device) - now I do not have PDF Expert on my iPad but if that icon were present, then should open the converted PDF file - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good suggestions.

For Word documents, using Pages to convert to PDF is probably one of the best methods. It is far more accurate than the built in Quicklook conversion that is used in most other apps. Keynote is probably a decent converter too. But Numbers displays things a bit different than Excel, so the results ma not be what is expected.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Quickoffice (free) will save as PDF. The command is hidden under the Print icon. I don't know how accurate the conversion is, but a basic text file comes out as expected, quickly and easily.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
S

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good suggestions.

For Word documents, using Pages to convert to PDF is probably one of the best methods. It is far more accurate than the built in Quicklook conversion that is used in most other apps. Keynote is probably a decent converter too. But Numbers displays things a bit different than Excel, so the results ma not be what is expected.

thank you. What are the steps to print via "pages?" I am looking everywhere to convert documents.

OP
S

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, just trying to see if i can make that format 'conversion' on my ipad which does not have a specific app for that purpose; one way was by using pages which can certainly open *.doc & *docx files - with pages opened, the small box (w/ an outgoing arrow) in the upper left corner will bring up an options menu; by selecting 'open in another app' then choosing a file, a pdf choice appears - the file is converted and question asked about 'which' app to use w/ multiple ones shown (e.g. Ibooks, goodreader, etc. On my device) - now i do not have pdf expert on my ipad but if that icon were present, then should open the converted pdf file - dave :)

thank you this is useful!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
thank you. What are the steps to print via "pages?" I am looking everywhere to convert documents.

To print in Pages you tap the wrench icon and choose the print option. It works via AirPrint, so unless you have a compatible printer or something else on the network to emulate an AirPrint compatible printer, it won't work. AirPrint Basics

An app like Printopia (for the Mac) will let you print to a folder on your computer, as well as any attached printers. Since AirPrint uses the PDF format for printing, the result of printing to a folder is a PDF.

However, that is not what we were talking about.

When you share or use Open In for a document in Pages (using the share icon, a box with an arrow pointing up) you get the option of four different formats: Pages, PDF, Word, and ePub. Using Open In, PDF, then choosing PDF Expert (or another app) is what we've been talking about.

You get a little bit more control over PDF printout (AirPrint) than you do sharing/exporting the document as a PDF, but not much more. Mostly just the ability to print a range of pages; something you can fix in PDF Expert after the fact, if you Open In that app. For Pages and Keynote anyway. With Excel the print option can be more useful, since it will give a (very) little control over page layout.

Most reactions

Latest posts