What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

PreVoiD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ashleysh22 said:
So I kinda skimmed through this extremely long thread, but I was wondering if any of you can help me out with something specific. I am in medical school ands all of our notes are provided as power points. On a PC I can print into one note and then take notes directly on the slides, but I would really like to br able to handwrite notes on the slides using my iPad. Anyone know an app that can do that? I mean if I just wanted to scribble notes, high school style, penultimate seems pretty great. But I need to be able to add a PDF or PowerPoint that I can scribble all over.

Any thoughts?

I am in medical school as well! May I ask what your focus is, and what you'll work with after graduating? :) I bought an app called “iAnnotade PDF“ which does cost a few bucks, but is THE best app for the exact thing you are asking for. I use this app every day in class for taking notes, highlining, underlining, and striking out unnecessary parts of the current lecture. I must say it is an AWESOME experience using iAnnotate PDF!

It even has a built in web browser which you can use to download pdf files directly from the internet! In my case, our university has all the current and up to date pdf files which are used in class, available on the internet. I simply use the built in web browser to download them all to the iAnnotate PDF app, and then I'm all set!

Check it out and tell me what you think about it! :)

lloydnbaylis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello all

duh... im having trouble editing and updating existing notes on my iphone and ipad. if i call up a particular note and double tap the body text i get nothing., no cursor, no prompt, no nothing. probably doing something daft - not the first time

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lloydnbaylis said:
hello all

duh... im having trouble editing and updating existing notes on my iphone and ipad. if i call up a particular note and double tap the body text i get nothing., no cursor, no prompt, no nothing. probably doing something daft - not the first time

Try closing the app completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly. Let us know how you go and if that has fixed it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

S

sanjmeh

PreVoiD said:
I am in medical school as well! May I ask what your focus is, and what you'll work with after graduating? :) I bought an app called “iAnnotade PDF“ which does cost a few bucks, but is THE best app for the exact thing you are asking for. I use this app every day in class for taking notes, highlining, underlining, and striking out unnecessary parts of the current lecture. I must say it is an AWESOME experience using iAnnotate PDF!

It even has a built in web browser which you can use to download pdf files directly from the internet! In my case, our university has all the current and up to date pdf files which are used in class, available on the internet. I simply use the built in web browser to download them all to the iAnnotate PDF app, and then I'm all set!

Check it out and tell me what you think about it! :)

Hi,
Can you annotate PDF files and save them and then send them to anyone else? How much is this iAnnotate PDF app for? Is it being used extensively by your peers or just you? Any other major function or just annotation?

Thanks

dvdiva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried out several note-taking apps, and decided that Daedalus was the best for me. It has the cleanest, simplest interface, and because of that it performs fast. Very few buttons and features -- very elegant.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try GoodReader and EverNotes these are the base for note taking apps.

And you're right this post is way too long. Many of the apps have been updated and the previous comments are no longer valid.

Cheers

Well, Goodreader isn't a note taking app, though it is good for annotating pdf's. Try Note Taker HD!

Johnsantos11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I hope I can get help from you guys with the problem I'm currently facing. Today I recently purchased my new iPad. I'm going to use for school(currently in college) and would like to know which note taking app would suit me best. I'm in a middle of a dilemma. I have a couple of classes that uses PowerPoint presentation and the PowerPoint are available for us students to download and some classes that doesn't. Is there an app available that can both do the following things:
1. Download and use the powerpoints and maybe highlight, cross out info that are not needed and add important notes on the powerpoints at the same time using a stylus.
2. Use the app in my math class(calculus) where I can have a blank page to copy and solve math problems using a stylus.

What are your toughts on penultimate and notability?

Do any of you know if either has the ability to do single page custom paper? Say having p.1 a blank paper and then p.2 lined paper?

Please help and thanks!

Last edited:

Lynnessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Johnsantos11 said:
Hello! I hope I can get help from you guys with the problem I'm currently facing. Today I recently purchased my new iPad. I'm going to use for school(currently in college) and would like to know which note taking app would suit me best. I'm in a middle of a dilemma. I have a couple of classes that uses PowerPoint presentation and the PowerPoint are available for us students to download and some classes that doesn't. Is there an app available that can both do the following things:
1. Download and use the powerpoints and maybe highlight, cross out info that are not needed and add important notes on the powerpoints at the same time using a stylus.
2. Use the app in my math class(calculus) where I can have a blank page to copy and solve math problems using a stylus.

What are your toughts on penultimate and notability?

Do any of you know if either has the ability to do single page custom paper? Say having p.1 a blank paper and then p.2 lined paper?

Please help and thanks!

Hello I too

ME TOO! I am looking for an app for taking notes here are the things I need the app to do
Import voice recordings and photos
Allow me to take notes on a power point presentations ( Import presentation and highlight or add notes or drawings to it)
Draw pictures
have a bulleted list and allow me to zoom in/out of the notes so I can see whole page. Any suggestions??? :)

amyshelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To-do (Today&Tomorrow) is a simple and practical task manager. It allows you to add your intraday schedule and that of the following day.
With elegant design and great features such as easy-to-use interface, customizable theme color/fonts, desktop icon countdown, and user password protection, To-do will surely be your irreplaceable personal assistant!

rajagopalanator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to jump into this thread, I'm in the same boat--a college student who needs a good PDF/ppt annotation program. Given that both Note Taker HD and iAnnotate have been updated a fair amount since most of these posts went up, which of the two would you prefer?

dchevenement

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have a look at Beesy on the AppStore.
really nice business oriented note taking app that automatically generates ToDo from your notes.
From there you can easiliy follow-up on them, per type of task, per project or person.
some learning curve to get the most of it but one of the best business app i've been using in a long time

S

sanjmeh

jenifferhomes said:
I'm a long time user of Evernote, and have abandoned the TabletPC about a year ago. I've tried many solution, including Livescribe, Evernote, etc.

thanks
jeniffer

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

May i ask, Why have you left tablets one year back. This is the tablet forum.

crashnburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to jump into this thread, I'm in the same boat--a college student who needs a good PDF/ppt annotation program. Given that both Note Taker HD and iAnnotate have been updated a fair amount since most of these posts went up, which of the two would you prefer?

Any consensus on which of these is the best? iAnnotate NoteTaker & GoodReader ?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For handwritten annotations Good Reader is better. The magnifying window can be moved around at will, whereas the one in iAnnotate cannot---once you have decided where you "think" you wanted it to be and clicked at that spot. Also, the sheer number of tools and options and lack of a decent instruction manual make iAnnotate pretty hard to use.

iAnnote is better from another point of view, though: scrolling large files is much faster, and you can do so continuously---which is nice if you want to annotate near the bottom of a page.

I have found neu.annote is better than either of the aforementioned two for handwritten annotation, but it is practically unusable for large files as it crashes on them.

Most reactions

Latest posts