What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PV: Beyond me how you can say it has everything when it doesn't translate as you write. Until it does I am staying with 7NotesHD

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PV: Beyond me how you can say it has everything when it doesn't translate as you write. Until it does I am staying with 7NotesHD

Notes Plus and Note Taker HD do some amazing things. I think the release of 3.0 for Notes Plus puts it a bit ahead of NoteTaker HD in terms of features though I prefer the latter's UI. But if handwriting conversion to text is a high priority I agree that 7Notes HD Premium is superior. BTW, I believe the "Premium" edition may be required to get "real time" conversion without text selection. I may be wrong about that.

PreVoiD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have to revoke my previous statement regarding Notes Plus. Today @ lecture the app simply crashed 2H into the lecture. And then I mean crashed. I don't know why, since I was writing and nothing else. The end result? 2 hours of notes just gone, and there was nothing I could do to get them back.

A friendly reminder if you want to use this app - back up EVERYTHING - ALL the time - just to be sure you don't loose anything if the app decides to suddenly crash on you. *sigh*

Last edited:

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PreVoiD said:
I may have to revoke my previous statement regarding Notes Plus. Today @ lecture the app simply crashed 2H into the lecture. And then I mean crashed. I don't know why, since I was writing and nothing else. The end result? 2 hours of notes just gone, and there was nothing I could do to get them back.

A friendly reminder if you want to use this app - back up EVERYTHING - ALL the time - just to be sure you don't loose anything if the app decides to suddenly crash on you. *sigh*

I really feel for you that's horrid

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My sympathies as well. I think there's a bigger lesson here. Stretching the iPad to meet mission critical requirements is like using a Mini to haul lumber. It may work with enough workarounds and for awhile but the apps available for consumers don't undergo the same level of testing one finds for applications designed to run on more powerful hardware. And the reason apps sell for a couple of bucks is because the investment in testing and support doesn't exist.

You'll note, for example, that Apple's own apps such as Pages and Numbers don't include features available in their PC level counterparts. That's in part because Apple knows just how far to stretch the capabilities of the iPad.

Your advice to back up frequently is a good recommendation. Over the years we've become accustomed to ignoring that advice as applications and hardware have improved on PC's (and as automated backups have been incorporated into applications.) For any complex app provided by a third party for the iPad, it's probably good advice to remember what you're paying and treat the apps as "beta" quality.

frogsrock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Papparaz said:
I've been using 7Notes Premium HD for a week but frustrated that I can't make tasks/to do's with due dates and/or reminders. Am I missing something? The handrwriting conversion to text is mostly good but can be time consuming when it doesn't see my chicken scratch the way I do. I bought an iPad thinking it was going to replace my paper notebook but so far I'm not seeing the benefits. I have "looked" at over 50 apps. I can type faster than I write but typing notes in a meeting with my boss is a non-starter so handwriting is a must. Interesting side note that my search for apps I came across some "evidence" suggesting handwriting helps you remember it better versus typing. In my 50+ app search, if it did not state they could handle handwriting in the features, I assumed were not able to do what I need. Like Anoopkumar, note taking by hand with task capability is what most people need for meetings. Not ALL notes turn into tasks because some are just informational or for record-keeping purposes. For example, what was agreed or decided. I have found that Protaskinote (99 cents) is the closest to what I am looking for. Unfortunately, it doesn't convert handwriting to text and it has some other limitations such as how much you can write within each task. I thought there would be many apps with combined capabilities of handwriting integration with personal organization apps like PocketInformant. I think PocketInformant is considering integration with a handwriting app but they are still focused on their next product version to get it optimized for the latest ios. Conversion of handwriting to text, sharing of my notes and marking up notes are now secondary concerns for me. I just want something that is more productive than my paper notebook (the worst part is going through pages of notes to look for something that was said in a meeting or any action items I may have forgotten) but have yet to find it. Protaskinote is what I seem to be settling on for now but its disappointing there doesn't seem to be any well-designed app(s) for meeting notes with handwriting. Since time is valuable, I'm happy to pay $10, $50 or whatever, if there is an app that will just replace my paper notebook.

Whoaaaaaa you are over complicating this. The iPad comes with a notes app and for normal use, it works fine.
Now, for the real question: what is the best free tv show watching app?

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a note app that sounds an alert at a time of choice,,,,even when the ipad is in sleep mode?

thx. if this has been answered i'm sorry for the repost but this thread is REALLY LONG. :):)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

BTW, another thread alerted me to a bug in the 3.0 version of Notes Plus that leads to catastrophic loss of notes. Check another thread here or look at the Notes Plus developer website. Not sure if it fits your situation but you may have encountered the bug.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like the worst bug involves any usage of "&" in your file. Actually, sounds like there are quite a few bugs in 3.0. There seemed to be some pressure there to release the upgrade. Hopefully .1 drops soon.

In just some casual usage I have to say it seems like a really large improvement outside the obvious. It desperately needs Dropbox synching though it seems it's also in the pipe.

pauljwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using Evernore on my Ipad and my Mac. It works well for me and I love the way it syncs. :)

ashleysh22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I kinda skimmed through this extremely long thread, but I was wondering if any of you can help me out with something specific. I am in medical school ands all of our notes are provided as power points. On a PC I can print into one note and then take notes directly on the slides, but I would really like to br able to handwrite notes on the slides using my iPad. Anyone know an app that can do that? I mean if I just wanted to scribble notes, high school style, penultimate seems pretty great. But I need to be able to add a PDF or PowerPoint that I can scribble all over.

Any thoughts?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try GoodReader and EverNotes these are the base for note taking apps.

And you're right this post is way too long. Many of the apps have been updated and the previous comments are no longer valid.

Cheers

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts