What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

simonhernandez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to get back my notes in notability?

I just came from updating my version of notability. I think there was an error and a I lost all my notes. What can I do?

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are so many recommended apps; to narrow the field, which app syncs best between the iPad and the computer? I do not need all the bells & whistles; considering a replacement for Evernote.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my explorations, I found taht Notebility seems to do the best so far. It has the ability to write, type, draw, add pictures, photos, web pages, and can export to dropbox in PDF or RTF formats. If you export to RTF, it will create a zip file with the RFT text file and the separate graphic file. If you don't need drawings then the RTF export works good, allowing you to pull it up from a PC via dropbox and edit the document. It also has one of the lowest lelarning curves I've seen so far.

I bought Notability, but it isn't designed for written note taking. It has a draw function, but you can't really take notes. The pencil on the app icon is deceiving!

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DocAs - is working for me. Handwriting import export loads fast and lots of options you may want to give that a whirl

Sent from my iPad using iPF

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought Notability, but it isn't designed for written note taking. It has a draw function, but you can't really take notes. The pencil on the app icon is deceiving!

You might want to check that again. Notability just got upgraded and now has the best ink of any app I've seen. Amazing.

Also, anyone interested in handwriting recognition should check out an obscure little app I discovered last night: MyScript Memo. Its recognition is mind-boggling. It blows away all competiton, has a manual that is about 2 sentences long and is free!!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, anyone interested in handwriting recognition should check out an obscure little app I discovered last night: MyScript Memo. Its recognition is mind-boggling. It blows away all competiton, has a manual that is about 2 sentences long and is free!!

Wow! Just checked this out and I'm genuinely blown away by this app. Recognition is exceptional! I tried a few lines of text as I would normally for this type of app and it recognised it all fine. I then tried a complete cursive scrawl and it amazingly got it spot on! After lines of text, I only managed to get one error - hood instead of good as part of a cursive scrawl. Although free, you need to perform an in app purchase to actually export or copy this converted text out of the app but this is a bargain for those of you who actually need handwriting recognition.
I know this isn't how Apple envisaged the IOS interface but...... Apple, are you watching?
Would love to see this as part of IOS6!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just gave MyScript Memo a try...it is quite amazing how well it recognizes my questionable penmanship! Tried it just using my finger and it did just as well. I like that you can test it out for free. It's worth the $2.99 for the full app IMHO! Thanks for the tip chowdown! :thumbs:

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks pretty interesting. Connects to the 30 pin connector on your iPad, looks like its using infrared to see where the the pen itseFun announces aPen A5 Smart Pen for all of your iPad / iPhone writing needs -- Engadget

Here's a video:
Look's awesome!!!!!

The tip is VERY small and you can write really fine text with out zoom!! and no palm rejection needed!

Now we just need apps to code support for this

Another video look how small you can write (looks like a little bit of lag but not much)

Here's a beta tester using it:

[video=youtube;beKzOXfr3eA]

They said they are working with notes plus to get it working with their app. also they have their own app that's in the app store right now called studio basic lite, go down load it!

I'm buying this when it comes out!!!

Yet another video of it really close up. you can see a dot that moves around on iPad, that's where it thinks the tip of the pen is

[video=youtube;FE13sc2nNns]
[/video]

looks great

Last edited by a moderator:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe the next best option is to pick your favorite note program that syncs with Dropbox. That is my solution, now I'm synced between every device I own. On idevices, I use Nebulous.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Apen looks interesting. Will be waiting to see a review posted here.

But there is one drawback: apparently you still have to deal with paper! Maybe couple it with an Etch-a-Sketch?

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts