What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote is worth a look, also cirrus which has built in firms for incident reports, if you just want a better version of apple's note

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaiff, are you looking for an app for note taking or an app for annotating documents, such as PDF docs? SOme folks have suggested great note taking apps. But for true annotation, I like iAnnotate PDF. You can highlight, doodle, insert comments, overwrite text. It does the trick for me.

iAnnotate certainly is a beautiful app.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sdc3z;315099 hey I strongly suggest you try the app "penultimate". It is a $.99 app said:
I use Penultimate more than any other handwriting app. I have several other apps, but for ease of use, Penultimate is good. I just wish I could get one that even comes close to the old-style tablet handwriting apps that converted handwriting to text and had such ease of editing.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You might want to try UPad Lite for free to see if you like the handwriting to text conversion function. I just downloaded it a few days ago based on recommendations of other forum members and because it has that feature. It also has a wrist guard which I find very convenient in a note taking app.

I haven't had a chance to try out the handwriting to text conversion function yet, so that is why I'm only suggesting the trial version. (Please note that the trial version only allows for 5 notebooks).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might want to try UPad Lite for free to see if you like the handwriting to text conversion function. I just downloaded it a few days ago based on recommendations of other forum members and because it has that feature. It also has a wrist guard which I find very convenient in a note taking app.

I haven't had a chance to try out the handwriting to text conversion function yet, so that is why I'm only suggesting the trial version. (Please note that the trial version only allows for 5 notebooks).

uPad Lite doesn't have a handwriting to text conversion feature.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
uPad Lite doesn't have a handwriting to text conversion feature.

I'm sorry for my error. Now that I've looked at it again, I see that it has separate handwriting and typing functions.

I would have recommended WritePad which does convert handwriting to text but it is slow. I find it great for making grocery lists, but that's about it.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Insofar as the handwriting recognition is concerned, eventually (?) it should be built into iOS and work across those apps that would benefit from it. Though I suspect that this is being worked on, I am unsure as to why it isn't already available. There may still be accuracy and speed issues with today's processors.

Hopkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Insofar as the handwriting recognition is concerned, eventually (?) it should be built into iOS and work across those apps that would benefit from it. Though I suspect that this is being worked on, I am unsure as to why it isn't already available. There may still be accuracy and speed issues with today's processors.

It's not available now because Apple had no intentions for anyone to "write" on the iPad with a stylus as was popular with resistive screen tablets. Maybe they'll change their idea since so many apps have been created to help enable people to write on their iPads.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It's not available now because Apple had no intentions for anyone to "write" on the iPad with a stylus as was popular with resistive screen tablets. Maybe they'll change their idea since so many apps have been created to help enable people to write on their iPads.

I hope so. :)

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not quite sure if it was mentioned before but if you're looking for something cross-device, I love Evernote. I have an phone and MacBook pro and iPad so I absolutely love that through Evernote, I can access my notes anywhere!

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jot Stylus Review

So I finally got my Jot Stylus in (Adonit - Jot)
The build quality is very high and looks nice. I purchased the model with magnets in it that will stick to the iPad 2 on the right side, where the smart cover closes. It is not designed to be packed away like this though and is only for temporarily holding it.
So how does it preform? Its very precise, probably the most precise capacitive stylus on the market. It works well in penultimate which can keep up with your speed of writing. Other apps work well too (notetaker HD, notes plus, Ghostwriter etc..) But there is a big Flaw for me. I write really fast, mostly printing (not cursive) so this has my constantly lifting up the stylus and taping the screen. The noise the Jot makes when touching the screen is loud! Think about taking the back of a pen hitting glass with it. Its very Annoying. Now for people who write cursive or doing drawings this probably wont be a deal breaker. But for me I cant see my self using this to take notes (unless in a very loud room or with headphones on) Since the small disk on the stylus can be pulled off and put on back on I'm hoping that they might come out with a disk with some coating that will help with the noise. Until then I'm still searching for the perfect Stylus for my iPad.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is a big Flaw for me. I write really fast, mostly printing (not cursive) so this has my constantly lifting up the stylus and taping the screen. The noise the Jot makes when touching the screen is loud! Think about taking the back of a pen hitting glass with it. Its very Annoying.

Thanks for the review of the Jot stylus. I had been waiting to see what you thought of it ever since you posted about having ordered it. I have a similar style of writing as you describe. I can imagine that I would annoy the heck out of people in meetings.

After reading what you had to say about it, I guess I too am still looking for the ideal stylus.

Why can't they just make a dual-style Tablet, one on which we can turn the touch on and off? Maybe the day will come.

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is a big Flaw for me. I write really fast, mostly printing (not cursive) so this has my constantly lifting up the stylus and taping the screen. The noise the Jot makes when touching the screen is loud! Think about taking the back of a pen hitting glass with it. Its very Annoying.

Thanks for the review of the Jot stylus. I had been waiting to see what you thought of it ever since you posted about having ordered it. I have a similar style of writing as you describe. I can imagine that I would annoy the heck out of people in meetings.

After reading what you had to say about it, I guess I too am still looking for the ideal stylus.

Why can't they just make a dual-style Tablet, one on which we can turn the touch on and off? Maybe the day will come.

That's what I'm waiting for. I saw the new HTC tablets (like the Jetstream) that have dual mode with a N-Trig active digitizer, the idea of it is awesome as it works in all programs and in some programs its pressure sensitive.

The only thing I think we can hope for is apple to open up the Bluetooth spec to do data and then some one could make a blue tooth stylus. Even then it would be program specific. Maybe Cook will have a different view of the stylus than Jobs did.

FrancisDB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all,
I started to use Magicalpad some days ago. It's pretty new and since I could buy it at introduction price, I gave it a try. Well, every App has its pros and its cons, but I think I found the note taking App which suits me best. I use it mainly for business purposes.
There a nice movie about the app on the web.

Regards from Belgium

Most reactions

Latest posts