What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

cplmartini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi peeps,
REAL newbie here just got my iPad 2 last week :)

FIRST thing i looked for was an app like windows one note, love it , use it, how could anyone not?

MobileNoter lets you:

• View and edit your MS OneNote notebooks on iPad
• Formatting and layout are preserved
• Your pages look exactly the same way as in MS OneNote
• You can edit existing pages and add new text on a page
• Format text as you like: change font size, color, create lists
• Inking feature allows handwriting input and drawing in your notes
• Create audio recordings and play media in your notes
• You can add, move and delete images on your pages
• Take text notes and attach pictures to them (Quick Notes)
• Sync two-way with MS OneNote
• Sync wirelessly, over Wi-Fi or 3G

can be found in the app store

hachebrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Simplenote. I like it because it syncs with my word processor, Scrivener by Literature and Latte, that I use on my iMac. It is a great program for writers. Simplenote is supported so that I can work on my manuscript from my iPad. Makes editing portable and convenient.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

FIRST thing i looked for was an app like windows one note, love it , use it, how could anyone not?

MobileNoter lets you:

Thanks for the commercial.

Evilteacher34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I've been using "Notesplus" for almost two weeks in my university courses instead of the regular notebook.

I'm not going to go into techy talk and I will provide you my most sincere normal feedback.

This app is really good if your looking for good writing recognition even using the fat pens, also the way you can change colors, add pics, and basically everything abput it is really easy to get even for people not used to this kinda programs.

Down part: Ypu have to write kind of slowly or at normal speed, writing fast sometimes creates slashes or writings you didn't reall intend to do.
Also there is no autotime stamp or something like it, but you can create pages with the date on them inside the same notebook, I'm currently using this way, and I'm using 5 notebooks.

For me this is a must have app if you're looking for a good actual writing app, in case you have more questions feel free to ask me. I will give yu my normal advice again not techy ones, but hey sometimes normal is better :p

And those were my 2 cents!

MissSelanius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed review of Notability! It has way more features than I might ever need, but your review touched on just the ones I am looking for that Notes doesn't have, and I've decided to buy the app based on your raves. :)

MissSelanius
(I'm an iPad 2 newbie)

kfraggal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These apps are awesome for taking notes but I am hoping to find an app that enables me to take notes on the slides that my prof posts online. They are usually posted in adobe or powerpoint, sometimes they are in PDF. Converting is not an issue, but what app would be best for me to be able to highlight and take notes on the actual slides?

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These apps are awesome for taking notes but I am hoping to find an app that enables me to take notes on the slides that my prof posts online. They are usually posted in adobe or powerpoint, sometimes they are in PDF. Converting is not an issue, but what app would be best for me to be able to highlight and take notes on the actual slides?

I use iAnnotate for this. I use it all the time for work.

JimBrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I'd really like is a note taker that types, either using the virtual keyboard on the ipad or a bluetooth keyboard - and the ability to tag, folder and otherwise organize various notes being taken.

Too often I've found the best apps for organization don't support typing. Note Taker HD comes to mind here and I can't figure out why they wouldn't support it.

Rzepkanut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JimBrown said:
What I'd really like is a note taker that types, either using the virtual keyboard on the ipad or a bluetooth keyboard - and the ability to tag, folder and otherwise organize various notes being taken.

Too often I've found the best apps for organization don't support typing. Note Taker HD comes to mind here and I can't figure out why they wouldn't support it.

Maybe you have not updated your Note Taker HD app, it recently was just greatly improved with the switch to version 6.0 It now does everything you just listed, and more....

Note Taker HD now has folders, and it already had the ability to type into notes as well as use a stylus. Its always been my personal favorite note taking app, but now I like to use it as a PDF reader because there is a great full screen preview mode that let's you use flicking gestures to jump between pages and documents, and if you need to make an annotation you just press the tiny edit button and it brings up your tools. Plus I like the new and improved UI and icon that are in the update.

araje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am seriously debating between NoteTaker HD and NotePad Plus. It has come down to a point where which author is providing more responsiveness to comments/bugfixes.

However, I am still not exactly happy with either on. My requirements were - Calendar integration. An interface that like the native calendar APP shows me my calendar meetings and then for them I can invoke the notepad module and take notes/scribble/handwrite/record whatever that gets stored in the calendar entry itself. It will be nice to tag the notes with some keywords so that if I serach on those keywords, not only do I get the notes but also the meeting list in which relate to those keywords.

Unfortunately, havent found anything that does this. I liked THINGS for their interface but at 19$ no handwriting and no calendar integration - thats a shame.
Syncing maybe good but I am not all up for it, even though I am sure its on priority for many others.

I am tired of researching an app with these specs. Anyone has any suggestions ? I am just preparing myself to two apps now - one for calendar TODO and other for notes like the 2 apps i mentioned above :(
Anything better than this would be like a god's gift :)

Let me know.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tried all of these - UPAD, NoteTaker HD, Notes Plus, Noteshelf

My conclusion is that Upad and Notetaker HD are the best.

Upad has best handwriting and easiest to use. NTHD has a steeper learning curve but offers more features.

Notesplus is buggy and if you write fast it misses strokes.

Noteshelf is good but no typing support.

You can't go wrong with either Upad or NTHD.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchased Note Taker HD a day or two ago.

The person who said it has a steep learning curve sure ain't kidding!

I have a few other note apps but after a couple of days the power and flexibility of NTHD will, I am positive, make the steep learning curve worthwhile.

I'd like to find a downloadable .PDF manual for NTHD. Does one exist?

I'd like to see better, easier, quicker integration-with, saving-to, editing-from EverNote.

cmscritic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cmscritic.com
Soundnote if you do interviews or are in university / college is epic. It lets you record while taking notes and the quality is excellent. You can then click on a word you were on when you heard someone speak and it'll play back what was said at that time. I use it for interviewing people for my site and love it.

CameronD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cplmartini said:
Hi peeps,

MobileNoter lets you:

Does anyone know if there is an app where you can use a stylus or pen cap to write on the iPad to take notes? I've looked online but I am new to this too!

toku3211

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone I recently started using my iPad to take notes on during lecture. I am currently using iannotate and it's pretty good for almost everything I want to do. Since all my lecture notes are PDFs online they are very easy to incorporate into the app and to work with. There is one thing I wish I could do that I have not found any way to accomplish yet. Does anyone know of a way to run a video player on half the screen, so I could play back my lectures, and keep iannotate (or any other note taking app) on the other half. Ultimately what I wish to do is to go back and fill in any information I may have missed in class.

Most reactions

Latest posts