What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use Simplenote if your notes does not involve any drawing.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote keeps locking up my computer!!

Now to try simplenote

Oops - you need to know what you are doing to use Simplenote :eek:

Apparently to sync you have to use this in conjunction with another program - mobi1, can you provide some insight. Thanks,

Edit to this post:

Evernote was not locking up my computer; I sent several notes from the iPad note app by email to my computer and when I attempted to copy the information in the email to paste into an Evernote Note, Outlook kept locking up! I have since deleted all of the Note emails in Outlook and all seems for the moment to be working properly in Evernote.

Last edited:

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Simplenote automatically syncs to its own server. There are third party free desktop application available to sync with simplenote. One such app is Resoph Note in Windows.

Between Evernote and Springpad I choose the later. Evernote free version does not work offline (it uses cache to store notes offline which may be out of sync).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tbh I'm a regular user of evernote for several years now and I've never exceeded the generous free allowance. Would have been happy to have paid if I had. Takes some filling.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simplenote automatically syncs to its own server. There are third party free desktop application available to sync with simplenote. One such app is Resoph Note in Windows.

Between Evernote and Springpad I choose the later. Evernote free version does not work offline (it uses cache to store notes offline which may be out of sync).

Now, you are confusing!

First you said you use Simplenote; now you said you are using Springpad.

Does Springpad sync offline?

lukepast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't found any of the hand-writing apps to be very usable. I've been using CourseNotes on my iPad for notes. I like the organization of the app. There's a demo movie on coursenotesapp.com.

I used Coursenotes for the past year but thought the drawing was poor.

I downloaded Moleskine's own app last week and like it better. I did lose a whole day of my holiday diary the other day as I was not aware there was a limit to the number of pages or something in a note - I'd been typing the whole 2 week diary as one note - they call notes thoughts and you can pick plain paper, squared or lined and change pen colour and insert photos and have drawn overlays - export to several online communities including Facebook. The drawings can be in-line or overlays unfortunately the overlays don't seem to be usable for annotation of your text.

I only do typed note taking on my iPad though...

Last edited:

Kath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used the following apps?
Sundry Notes
smartNotes
Whitenote
Underscore Notify

Does Notability allows you to draw sketches in the note itself or you have to draw specifically in a box and then paste it in the note?

I've been viewing all notes app lately, Note Plus, Note Taker HD, Noteshelf, but I'm not looking for apps that focus only on handwrite notes, for that I use UPAD.

Features I'm looking for:
An app that allows me to do typed notes with bullets and tabs such as PaperDesk, Sundry Notes and draw sketches in the note itself.
Palm resting
Zoom-in for handwriting
Handwriting recognition
Search, bookmarks, tags
Folder or notebooks
Inserting, copying or moving pages from one notebook to another
Arrows to move up, down, left and right (just like the ones in a regular keyboard) (Sundry Notes has this feature)
PDF Export
Sending via e-mail
Moving and editing the drawings and sketchings after making them
Undo/redo
And all other such as text size, colors, highlight, etc.

I know UPAD supports text, but I'm looking for an app that is made more for text typing than handwriting, because I need it to support bullets and tabs when typing (if you know any app with this two features let me know)

So far, I think I'm going to buy Sundry Notes unless someone tells me about a better app that has most of the features I want.

In case someone has any particular questions about UPAD (which I use for taking handwriting notes and Annotations on pdf files) Sundry Notes, SmartNote, feel free to ask. Thanks for your time.

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Definitely evernote.

You can login from anywhere and have all your notes synced automatically.

I will look into evernote. I'm not too pleased with Notability. I was under the impression that I could attach PDF's and documents to it. However, it's not allowing me.

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I downloaded Evernote and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with it. The fact that it syncs automatically is a HUGE plus for me. Not to mention the fact that I can attach documents to it. True, I have to pay to attach word documents but $45 is really not that bad. I'm going to continue to play with it and see what all it can do. But for right now; I give it TWO thumbs up!

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I downloaded Evernote and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with it. The fact that it syncs automatically is a HUGE plus for me. Not to mention the fact that I can attach documents to it. True, I have to pay to attach word documents but $45 is really not that bad. I'm going to continue to play with it and see what all it can do. But for right now; I give it TWO thumbs up!

How does it synch "automatically"?

When I attach my iPad I have to tell the iPad to sync with Evernote; it doesn't sync when I go a general iPad sync.

Also, if I am working on my computer when I finish I do a sync which simply loads the changes into the Evernote server. Then, when I open my iPad the first thing I do is an Evernote sync to bring my notes on the iPad up to date from my computer changes.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

madam_octa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my stylus today and now i'm looking for a good notes app that supports handwriting. I can't decide between Notes Taker HD, Notes Plus and Noteshelf, they are 5$ and have similar functions. Anyone here using either of them maybe?

Last edited:

Kath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madam_octa said:
I got my stylus today and now i'm looking for a good notes app that supports handwriting. I can't decide between Notes Taker HD, Notes Plus and Noteshelf, they are 5$ and have similar functions. Anyone here using either of them maybe?

Sorry I'm replying to you, I'm not using any of those apps but I use UPAD which is $5 also and it is a GREAT app for both handwriting and making annotations. It has the wrist protection and zoom for writing and it also allows you to make text notes. You can try the lite version which it exactly as the paid one, except that the lite version has a limited number of files. If you have any questions about it let me know.

madam_octa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madam_octa said:

Sorry I'm replying to you, I'm not using any of those apps but I use UPAD which is $5 also and it is a GREAT app for both handwriting and making annotations. It has the wrist protection and zoom for writing and it also allows you to make text notes. You can try the lite version which it exactly as the paid one, except that the lite version has a limited number of files. If you have any questions about it let me know.

No need to apologize, actually thanks for the great recommendation. I got Notes Plus and they are Ok, but the most important thing for me, handwriting recognition is not so good, sometimes some of my strokes didn't get recognized so I had to go back and fix them. Nothing serious but it's still a hassle. Then I tried the lite version of upad, and I love it, however there is one feature missing that would really improve it - ability to export notebook as a pdf, because right now when I have a lot of pages in a notebook I can only email them as photos. Does the upad dev have a web page like viet tran ( dev of note plus) has?

Most reactions

Latest posts