What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

broken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. not sure if you guys can help me BUT i need a specific note taking app.I have looked at what you have suggested over time and it is not quite what I wanted. I cannot find this anywhere and no one seems to be able to help. you are my last hope What I want to do is to do a presentation in front of a client that i draw with a stylus on the screen. I want to be able to draw whatever i want freely and easily. Just draw, no colors. No shapes. just draw just like on a notepad. Then slide through to another screen and another screen and continue to write as if I was writing on separate pages. and then save the project and email it to myself. also want to record the voice presentation and attach it to the file.

I am not understanding why this app is not the fastest selling useful app for business. Please help:)

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to use Audio Note for all of my notes, then I found Mental Note (which is even better than AudioNote) and finally I found Notability, which is even better than Mental Note! The nice thing about typed-in notes vs. handwritten notes is that typed-in notes are fully searchable, which can be a huge benefit.

I really do suggest that you give Notability a shot - it does EVERYTHING! I love having different fonts, colors and the outline tool is just great...

Obviously, it's a personal preference, but I've tested ALOT of note-taking apps in a real work environment (for meetings), and Notability just seems to best. Mental Note is nice too though - just not quite as flexible as Notability...

Since Notability is on sale for $3, I picked it up this morning.

This is a very nice app and it will replace SoundNote which has been pretty robust for me. There is a lot to like about Noteability. I like exporting finished notes as a PDF which is my main document file system for the iPad, Mac, and Windows.

I like to jump between productivity and information apps and that works with Notability along with copy and paste while the audio recording continues without missing a beat which makes it truly multitasking.

There is a little bit of a learning curve but not all that bad if you know the iPad.

I like searching my extensive notes and that is also a feature of this app.
I just got back from a two day convention and I wish I had this app then instead of SoundNote which I have been using for over six months.

This app is so much better.

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. not sure if you guys can help me BUT i need a specific note taking app.I have looked at what you have suggested over time and it is not quite what I wanted. I cannot find this anywhere and no one seems to be able to help. you are my last hope What I want to do is to do a presentation in front of a client that i draw with a stylus on the screen. I want to be able to draw whatever i want freely and easily. Just draw, no colors. No shapes. just draw just like on a notepad. Then slide through to another screen and another screen and continue to write as if I was writing on separate pages. and then save the project and email it to myself. also want to record the voice presentation and attach it to the file.

I am not understanding why this app is not the fastest selling useful app for business. Please help:)

2Screens might be useful for you - it's a presentation suite that does allow for drawing on a blank sheet using VGA output - it also has file management and a cool little red laser that you can use with your finger on the ipad & it shows up as a red laser on the screen. It has arrows, circles, squares & font/clour changes as well which might be more than you need but it makes the app great for highlighting/annotated imported PDF's. There is also an option for presenters notes so that you can quickly jot a comment to yourself without it being seen by anyone else ... I don't think it has audio recording - you may be pushed to find an app that presents and records - but there are several recording apps that have multitasking and will record in the background so that may be an option for you

others may have apps more suited - I needed something robust that allowed for a variety if things to be shown through VGA including slides, photos, a web browser and a live whiteboard - 2Screens - while not perfect was a good match for this

Good Luck

broken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. it is still not quite there. it is amazing that something this simple hasn't evolved yet. I will keep looking but I will certainly investigate 25 screens.

appreciate it.

justinmg

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Adobe ideas and sketchbook pro both do that nicely

Hotwaffleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot of crappy note taking apps out there. I think I have bought them all. Currently the two best for me are penultimate and especially note taker hd. Penultimate is a nice moleskine clone but not so get for taking notes in class. It does make a great handwritten journal though. But now, I am hooked on Note Taker Hd. It is very well designed and great for handwritten notes.

I use Note Taker Hd in a language class and I am easily able to take notes during class. with a little practice, I think you can be almost as quick as using pen and paper. Sure I can write faster on paper, but you can't erase as fast as UNDO.

The key to note taker hd is the variable sized detail window. You can place it where you like quickly and resize it to fit your needs.

In my language class, I must write many tables and lists of verb conjugations. This app gives you enough control to make tables or list that line up nicely I stead of being sloppy and crooked.

Note taker hd is about 5 bucks, but it is worth it if you want to stop carrying a paper notebook.

Jrooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the many comments very interesting but my work requires a handwriting culture (typing would not be appropriate) and for that reason Notesplus looks best for me still. Also, the developer says he is working on handwriting to text for the future. The search capability would also be a nice addition to this software and I will pass that on to developer.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to ask HOW to bold or underline or more in Evernote? I just downloaded this app and apart from audio and adding images to notes, which is nice feature, it's really like the basic yellow pad, but more boring White screen and without the option of changing type head? It's nice to have audio but was expecting more...have I missed something?
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stephen19 said:
Just to ask HOW to bold or underline or more in Evernote? I just downloaded this app and apart from audio and adding images to notes, which is nice feature, it's really like the basic yellow pad, but more boring White screen and without the option of changing type head? It's nice to have audio but was expecting more...have I missed something?
S

I know exactly what you mean - Evernote is good for web clipping and syncing these between devices but overall the UI is clunky - especially the mac desktop version - yuck!!!

EverNote seems overrated to me too.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NOTABILITY iPad note taking app gets another big update this week.

Ginger Labs continues to update Notability with the most-requested features.

Notability 2.06 is a big update and includes these new features:

- RTF and RTFD file types to edit notes on a computer.

- iDisk and WebDAV backup and sharing services.

- Batch upload of all file types to online services (ex. DropBox) and iTunes, as well as batch printing.

Notability 2.06 will be available later this week!

--

Notability supports web clips, drawings, recorded lectures limited only by your total memory left. now the RTF notes can be manipulated on any computer after this 2.06 update.

This has rapidly become my favorite iPad note taking app out in the field and in the lecture hall. Give me a new iPad with a camera and this will be a killer application for every day work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just want to add to this thread that Note Taker HD just got a major update.

You can now add typed notes, shapes and pictures - and move them all around the page.

I have not had time to look at this thoroughly, but wow! It sure seems to have a LOT more neat stuff. Off to "play"!

Marilyn

Mdorricott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just bought note maker hd v5 after reading this and it's fantastic. Everything I've been looking for, so I urge you to take a look if you're after a great notetaker. Check it out on you tube.

Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts