What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best leather-folios or rather best-leather folios

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pingles said:
Well, stay away from the Yoobao (Pyrus on Amazon -- it comes in a Yoobao box).

The smell just about knocked me off of my feet.

Will have to figure out a way to destink this.

Revision 2 of this case now shipping does not have this issue. Also, for the rev 1 which smells, just air it for a couple of days and the smell goes.

I have it airing now. Just as well because my iPad2 is still on the way.

I will certainly return and update my disheartening post if this smell dissipates.

Currently it's truly overwhelming.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pingles said:

Yoobao is not genuine leather. It is made from bonded polyurethane leather, which is a cheap synthetic substitute, hence its ridiculously low price and (when you start using it) lack of durability. Because polyurethane is a type of thermoplastic made from petroleum, that's probably where the bad smell comes from.

Are you sure? It's marketed as leather and comes with a leather standard - not something they can do if it is synthetic. Also on examining the back portion of the case without the reinforced inserts, it certainly seems like genuine leather to me. I'm no expert but I'm sure it is leather as marketed.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
Are you sure? It's marketed as leather and comes with a leather standard - not something they can do if it is synthetic. Also on examining the back portion of the case without the reinforced inserts, it certainly seems like genuine leather to me. I'm no expert but I'm sure it is leather as marketed.

I have one of the Yoobao cases, and unless they've changed the material, it is polyurethane leather. I've owned and used leather products for many years, and know quite about handling and care. It can be disingenuously marketed or described as genuine leather, because it is manufactured using discarded parts of genuine hide (the layers too inferior to be used for premium products), then bonded to a polyurethane thermoplastic to give it more durability and substance. Synthetics these days can look, smell and feel very much like the real thing.

However this synthetic material does not have any of the qualities you'd get with genuine full-hide leather (aniline or semi-aniline) such as being able to be reconditioned or acquiring a patina of 'broken-in' usage over time. It's a bit like how some soft drinks and processed juice claim to 'contain real fruit juice' even if it only comprises 1% - and in some places you *cannot* advertise PU leather as 'genuine'. Usually the dead giveaway is the price: genuine leather is not cheap both as a raw material, as well as labour and workmanship costs (craftsmen who hand-make leather products usually won't bother with inferior material.)

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yip, I have one too and have reviewed products for many years from the likes of Piel Frama, Vaja, Sena to name a few. These examples are all premium leather products, especially Piel Frama and I'm not comparing Yoobao to this level of quality but still feel the back of the case for example is leather. I also have cheaper PU leather cases from the likes of Chinao and others and while they are good 'clones', there is an obvious difference. I just wanted query why you said they are not leather - I haven't seen any evidence to prove they are indeed not leather. Definitely not in the same league as premium manufacturers and quite possibly not 100% leather either but some sections of the case sure look like leather to me.

Stuartjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pdair look to have version 2 of their cases out at the moment and look decent quality.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
Yip, I have one too and have reviewed products for many years from the likes of Piel Frama, Vaja, Sena to name a few. These examples are all premium leather products, especially Piel Frama and I'm not comparing Yoobao to this level of quality but still feel the back of the case for example is leather. I also have cheaper PU leather cases from the likes of Chinao and others and while they are good 'clones', there is an obvious difference. I just wanted query why you said they are not leather - I haven't seen any evidence to prove they are indeed not leather. Definitely not in the same league as premium manufacturers and quite possibly not 100% leather either but some sections of the case sure look like leather to me.

The Yoobao case I have was acquired last Nov or Dec, and the entire case is PU leather and I can speak to that with confidence. It might be possible that they've started using genuine leather, or maybe cases in different batches are made differently, but at that price point, I would be naturally careful of any claims to 'genuine leather'.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:

The Yoobao case I have was acquired last Nov or Dec, and the entire case is PU leather and I can speak to that with confidence. It might be possible that they've started using genuine leather, or maybe cases in different batches are made differently, but at that price point, I would be naturally careful of any claims to 'genuine leather'.

Ahh, that would explain it. I thought you were referring to the iPad 2 case - I received mine a week ago.

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Click on the links in the body of the 3rd subject "ipad2 cases on thier way" on that page and it will work. Look niiiiiiiiiice but pricey.

Edit: nvmnd....it worked twice but now I keep getting the bad gateway error no matter which link I choose.

Saddleback used Amazon cloud and the website was down. It's up now. I have their iPad case and love it. There is a great rustic look and the smell of high quality leather is great. Feels good in the hand. By the way, it's warranted for a 100 years!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kukulcan said:
I hate the PU or whatever faux leather stuff. I am fine with my silicone skin, but if I buy a leather folio I want leather and good leather, not cheap leather with a bad smell like I often read in reviews.

So which folios/cases have the best leather? I am looking for iPad 2 but if there are especially good iPad 1 cases those companies might offer good iPad 2 stuff now or later.

I got one from Ebelow.com, so far it's holding up well. Leather quality is adequate, looks elegant, I had not smelled it until now but it smells like good leather... :)

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saddleback used Amazon cloud and the website was down. It's up now. I have their iPad case and love it. There is a great rustic look and the smell of high quality leather is great. Feels good in the hand. By the way, it's warranted for a 100 years!

I ordered the Saddleback case in dark brown at 2am today after returning my Yoobao to Amazon yesterday. Decided to pay the extra money for the quality I know will be there.
How long did it take to get yours?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh, that would explain it. I thought you were referring to the iPad 2 case - I received mine a week ago.

It also crossed my mind that Yoobao could have also started making different kidns of cases with same design but different materials - one using PU-grade leather, and one with premium-grade leather, to cater to users looking to accessorize at different price points.

Nonetheless, I guess my point is that the price is usually a good indicator of what you're getting, especially with premium products like full-grain leather which is rarely cheap.

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to know for sure, run a lighter flame over the surface. PU leather will melt, real leather won't. Bit of a destructive test though if it is PU.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pingles said:

Revision 2 of this case now shipping does not have this issue. Also, for the rev 1 which smells, just air it for a couple of days and the smell goes.

Just to be clear: I ordered my Yoobao (from Pyrus on Amazon) a week ago and it was still strong smelling. I assumed I'd be getting a version 2 by now but was obviously wrong.

That being said, after a few days of sitting in the garage the smell is almost gone. I don't know of many products that require several days of airing out so I think the warning is still appropriate but I am certainly not sending it back and am excited to have such a lightweight case for my iPad2.

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jman09 said:
I ordered the Saddleback case in dark brown at 2am today after returning my Yoobao to Amazon yesterday. Decided to pay the extra money for the quality I know will be there.
How long did it take to get yours?

You won't regret it. It two weeks for mine. Well worth the wait.

Most reactions

Latest posts