What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best iPad case situation?

Supermac96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am deciding to either get an apple smart cover, an apple smart cover with a back shell thing or a normal iPad case that can make a stand and has acces to all ports. The sleep/wake feature would be nice but isn't a must. One thing about getting a case is it seems like if you were holding the iPad say playing a game than it seems like with a norlam folio style case you either have to take it out of the case our hole the front flap to the bag of the iPad with your fingers which seems like could be pretty annoying. Anyone have thoughts on that? Also the iPad is so thin and light I want to have a case that doesn't add much bulk or weight to the iPad. I ws looking at the griffen intellicase but I wonder if that would really do anything if dropped? I mean I want enough protection so if I dropped it from my waist or it fell of table nothing would happen. The marware CEO seems nice and sleek but seems hard to get the case to close and open and because of the problem I stated earlier if i wanted to take it out it is pretty hard. So right now I was sort of thinking a smart cover/back shell would be the best solution because the smart cover really easy to take on and off when I am holding the iPad but also it seems very overpriced and seems to have some bad reviews about it not being sturdy while in a stand and sliding off while in a bag with other stuff. So anyway just looking for suggestions and opinions thank you! Oh also what is this "posted from ipf thing I'm seeing after alot of peoples posts?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Posted from iPF is because there is a dedicated (and free) iPad app for iPad Forum.

I'm not a 'case person', so can't really answer your other question.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's mostly personal preference. I have TPU silicone cases on both my iPads because I dislike weight and flaps. I originally had a shell case, but I found it protected against scratches, but didn't keep my iPad 1 from getting a ding when dropped on a corner.

I could get a beefier case, but I'd rather risk it than have more weight and a flap.

My iPad 1 is more than a year old and doesn't show any screen wear, despite no front cover or screen protector. I just stow it in a sleeve when I take it on the go. YMMV

There are rubbery cases for gamers that you might consider, too.

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Consider a Bweasel iPad stand with either a soft sleeve or a tote

With a Bweasel attached to your iPad, the iPad can be placed on any convenient desk, table, or counter occupying a small footprint and ready for use. You will only need the sleeve or tote for travel. With the 3 oz Bweasel stand attached, the iPad is much easier to pick up, hold and handle reducing the chance you may drop it. The Bweasel stand is also great for keeping your iPad beside your bed for overnight recharging and a convenient device for using your iPad in bed. Check the Bweasel out and view the video on the web site for more information. The Bweasel is on sale for $24.95 until the end of this month with free shipping to US addresses.

andylau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm now using an official smart cover and a rear cover compatible with the smart cover. Full protection.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the smart cover with a snap on clear hard acrylic backing. For me it's the best, as it doesn't bulk out the iPad. These 2 will protect the iPad from scratching but as far as dropping it goes, it probably won't do the job fully. So you have to weigh up ease of use against full protection. I do have a leather case that the iPad slips into with my cases on for traveling. Hope that helps you. If you do a search there are many threads about cases and what is available.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I carry my IPad with me everywhere I go and I've never have a problem with the smart cover falling off or coming off my iPad, but then I treat it with the same care that I do my laptop and other expensive items.
The smart cover can be annoying when taking pictures or shooting video but as you said, you can always remove it. I just adapted to doing both with the cover folded back.

When I first got my iPad, I didn't think of weather conditions because it wasn't an issue at the time. My smart cover + hard shell back were perfect for my needs this summer but are now somewhat inadequate, so now I'm shopping around for a water resistant sleeve. (The inner sections of my business case where I keep my iPad get damp during extended exposure in the rain.)

Although you didn't mention weather as an issue, I'm just pointing it out in case it might become one at some point.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also want to recommend YouTube as a resource for reviews of cases, covers (and apps and other accessories). I'm finding it invaluable for learning about the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of products that look great in online pictures but have defects that aren't always noted in written reviews.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rimmi2002 said:
CAn anyone recc'd a fully body screen? That is invisible?

A forum member in the "iPad 2 Cases" thread just posted his review of the accessories he purchased that seem to be what you're also interested in (if you have the iPad 2 and not the iPad 1).

Most reactions

Latest posts