What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ipad browser

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple of annoyances with Dolphin when using speed dial; does anyone know how to workaround:

When adding speed dial news sources, you add one and then get sent back to the main list if you want to add another. Is there a way to add several at once?

When viewing items in the Flipboard-like display, I'm seeing only the first chunk of a story (like with Engadget or Boing Boing). Is there a way to view the whole article in the app?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Couple of annoyances with Dolphin when using speed dial; does anyone know how to workaround:

When adding speed dial news sources, you add one and then get sent back to the main list if you want to add another. Is there a way to add several at once?

When viewing items in the Flipboard-like display, I'm seeing only the first chunk of a story (like with Engadget or Boing Boing). Is there a way to view the whole article in the app?

I find the Flipboard-like display (Webzine) unusable for more reasons than one. Also, other than tapping twice, I see no way of eliminating/hiding the example gesture on the iPad version. On the other hand, both access to bookmarks as well as the gesture implementation seem very good.

The Dolphin browser seems ready for a pro version. :)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those who need privacy, the Maven browser is also nice and fast. It has a jot dial on the right (not that we need it, but it's good to have). But the best part is that you can set a passcode before entry to the app. Some people have some websites that they don't want to share with other prying eyes B-)

View attachment 5831

I also often use the Maven browser and find it excellent. We are fortunate to have so *many* browser choices on iOS each with it's own strengths.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also often use the Maven browser and find it excellent. We are fortunate to have so *many* browser choices on iOS each with it's own strengths.

Unfortunately, no matter how many choices are available, you can't eliminate Safari as the default for other apps.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no matter how many choices are available, you can't eliminate Safari as the default for other apps.

Me no like this part at all. Jailbreaking is always an option though.

Last edited:

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the BrowserChanger JB tweak rules! It also has an SBSettings toggle so that you can quickly turn it on and off. Any time Safari would normally kick open for anything, it's your preferred browser instead. I value this so much I'd put it probably around #6-7 best reason to JB.

I tend to use Atomic as my preferred but haven't been thrilled with its memory use after the last few updates. Same with iCab. I also like Perfect and Mercury; each have had their day in the sun as my default BrowserChanger browser. I tried but just can't get into Maven or Dolphin. Or Diigo. KnowtilusPro is intriguing but kind of overwhelming as far as features go. I tend not to like dashboard-y or dial type things for much navigation, which is why I've given up on Mercury. I guess browsers are one area where I'm kind of old school.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

eagleone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so people that have IOS 5 now have the new safari so is he got any better is there a need anymore for alternative one,if yes why and which one do you find better from safari at the moment?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok so people that have IOS 5 now have the new safari so is he got any better is there a need anymore for alternative one,if yes why and which one do you find better from safari at the moment?

I must be missing something - I have OS 4.3.5 and feel Safari serves my needs just perfectly. Guess Im just naive :)

RW2112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I like using either iCab or Apollo for all my browsing needs. Safari has just never satisfied me as a browser of choice. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Wendywhidden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any way to get any color on iCab? I just installed it, but it's rather dreary! I think I like Dolphin better. Will check out Atomic though.

kllee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I downloaded iCab Mobile yesterday and accessed my office mail on Outlook Web Access, and it worked beautifully. I could even attach an attachment through the awesome download function. However, it was completely different story today, and while the page displayed the updated emails, I could not open any of the mails, links, functions, etc. I didn't change anything from from, and I'd tried changing the browser ID and cleared the cookies, it still didn't work. I'd be grateful if someone could help me with the situation. Thanks in advanced!

Sundancekid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Atomic suits me just fine.... It has all the features that i miss on firefox... when i was still using safari.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tried a bunch but I always come back to using Atomic. The last new one I got was Dolphin. It was ok but there was just something I did't care for about it. I will say it was pretty fast but I guess it was the format I didn't like. Try it you can always delete it.

☮ ♥ 

Most reactions