What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best apps for working with PDF, Excel and Word files?

NYLTiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Pages, Office2 HD, and Docs to Go is the way to go for viewing/editing of docs, spreadsheets, or whatever.

do you know if these apps will work with Acess files. I see lots of comments about Excell,Word and PDF files but I never see Acess and that is the missing piece for me to be able to leave the laptop at home when I travel.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't think any of these work with Access! You can export data to Excel though. But if your Access file is complex you better carry a netbook/laptop.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For PDF the best tool is iAnnotate especially if you use colored bookmarks for rapid document navigation. The search PDF feature is a strong productivity tool in iAnnotate. Last open any Microsoft document in iAnnotate and it converts it to a PDF. Everyone knows iAnnotae can be used to convert web pages to a PDF and that six PDFs can be open at the same time in tabbed windows.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Questions about one app at a time:

As I understand, you can use this app to highlight etc a pdf file. Can you explain how you are able to do that and not have the words move across the screen while attempt to highlight them? What happens when the text continues off of the screen and you want to continue the highlight.

I carry with me in my iPad all of my photography books and other materials related to photography - all converted to pdfs. I have been using GoodReader; would love an app that allows me to EASILY highlight and search.

If you go to the Developer's website - access via the App Store - they have a very comprehensive User Manual available for free download, so it's easy to check out very precisely whether it would meet your requirements.

Tim

Hi, I have downloaded and read the manual. I guess I am asking how easy is it to highlight a line, several lines, lines that go from one page to the next, those practical types of questions that a manual doesn't answer.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Denys, what do you see as the differences between your product and iAnnotate? I am not asking why you are better and they are worse; I am asking you as a developer what are the actual differences that you see in the two products. I am mainly looking for the easiest product to organize, search, and most importantly highlight the text in my pdfs.

nickbevan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropdav is effectively WebDAV for dropbox and its easy to setup.

1 go to http://dropdav.com/ and sign up with you dropbox credentials
2 whilst you are in numbers or any other program that can access a WebDAV source you can specify the dropbox WebDAV server which is https://dav.dropdav.com

3 in numbers you have the option to copy to and from a WebDAV source e.g dropbox linked with DropDav

Hope this helps I think it's really useful

Nick

nickbevan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nickbevan said:
Dropdav is effectively WebDAV for dropbox and its easy to setup.

1 go to http://dropdav.com/ and sign up with you dropbox credentials
2 whilst you are in numbers or any other program that can access a WebDAV source you can specify the dropbox WebDAV server which is https://dav.dropdav.com

3 in numbers you have the option to copy to and from a WebDAV source e.g dropbox linked with DropDav

Hope this helps I think it's really useful

Nick

I posted this and then realised that I had only read the last query on page 1 of the thread. Ah well to hasty too help isn't necessarily a bad thing.
:)

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again guys,

I would gladly jump into this conversation.

If you been with Readdle for a while, you know that we always listen to you and continually improve our products.

Now, I will answer your questions about PDF Expert for iPad:

icon.png

PDF Expert is a swiss army knife for PDF documents and file management on your iPad. It combines rich set of features with simplicity of UI and navigation.
1) It will handle big PDF easily, especially if you have the new iPad, which makes PDF Expert super fast.

2) We did file transfer as easy as possible by giving a variety of options: 2-way Dropbox sync (the unique feature: works like charm. Let's say we're working on a new project of Facebook client for iPad. I had a flight, so I decided to work on board. All I had to do is a couple of taps to get all those files from Readdle Dropbox, you log in, chose folder you need and press 'Sync' - voila! you have all those files on your iPad. Moreover, if you add files from iPad to that folder, it will automatically upload into Dropbox), cloud storages, e-mail, direct wi-fi transfer and Readdle Storage (free 512 MB if you register yourself).

3) You will have the ability to search inside PDF files. Additionally, you will have annotation summary, so you can quickly jump between your annotations within the same documents (very good for students, who read academic papers and writing essays).

4) You will be able to annotate in 2 ways: using your fingers/stylus or by selecting the text. While using finger annotation (free-draw) you can chose color, size and depth of a marker. The main difference with iAnnotate here is that this works intuitively and easy, without cluttering the UI and giving tons of settings.

5) PDF Expert also combines all qualities of a perfect file manager, so yes, you will be able to organize files in folders, rename, move, copy, etc.

Moving to unique/core features:

-PDF Expert lets you to Fill in PDF Forms and submit them
-Flatten annotations, so your annotation will not be edited (useful for business)
-Signature support (for example: I received IO from MacTech director, I had to fill it in to get advertisement in their magazine and web-site for PDF Expert for iPad. I tapped on 'signature' at the place I wanted it, and it automatically appeared there: I had previously created my signature in PDF - you have to do it once, it will be in the memory, but you can always edit it; useful tool for signing contract with customers, agreements, etc.)
-Text typing (same case with IO, I had to put my name in the agreement, I just typed it in)
-Recent tab makes it easy to navigate between the files you've recently opened

Also, we have: live/static forms, auto-save annotations for crash resistance, print, e-mail annotation summary, Save as button (as copy, as flattened, stamps, sync improvements.

There are much more ways in which you can use PDF Exper for iPad.

So yes, PDF Expert for iPad is different from competitors. We managed to save clear and intuitive UI, while adding some core and unique features.

I use it daily tbh. :)

Few more words about our plans. As you know, we always improve our products, PDF Expert is not an exception. So, we are working on version 3.0, which will be the biggest update:
-Insert images into forms
-interface changes
-created pdf forms from Word
-efit pages of PDF files
-much more, will not disclose it yet - competitors are watching :)

I hope it helped a bit.
If you have any questions - feel free to ask, I will try to answer all of them.

Best,

Denys
Readdle
Hi
Can you please explain how I can sync iPad -> dropbox?
I´m only manage to sync 1 way: dropbox.com -> iPad

Thanks in advance – any answer will be appreciated
//Peter from Sweden, Europe

nickbevan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Peter which app are you trying to sync from as it will need to support copying back to dropbox.
If it supports WebDAV then Dropdav will let you write back to dropbox.

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't expect a smooth transition from PowerPoint to Keynote unless your slides are nothing but text. Even with text Keynote made a mess of a two-level bulleted list. It also misplaces figures that I carefully placed beside the relevant points. If you prepare the initial presentation in Keynote you can get an excellent result -- it's the compatibility that never works smoothly across platforms.

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Dropbox Question again

Readdle[/quote]Hi
Can you please explain how I can sync iPad -> dropbox?
I´m only manage to sync 1 way: dropbox.com -> iPad

//Peter from Sweden, Europe[/QUOTE]

Did you ever get an answer to your question about using DropBox to pass text between Apps?
How do you tell e.g. Pages to upload to Dropbox and vice versa? I can't get Pages, Keynote etc to send anywhere other than iTunes on my desktop via Sync. May be missing something simple.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader had a great update this morning that addresses some questions in this thread.

A great product just got better.

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Changes doesn´t “re-sync†to the dropbox

Hi, Learned how to 2-way sync pdf-files between dropbox and PDF Expert.
But the changes – highlighting, underlining - I done on my iPad will not shows on the file that is â€re-synced†to dropbox.
Shouldn’t it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please excuse my English, while this isn´t my native language

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lelkes said:
Hi, Learned how to 2-way sync pdf-files between dropbox and PDF Expert.
But the changes – highlighting, underlining - I done on my iPad will not shows on the file that is ”re-synced” to dropbox.
ShouldnÂ’t it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it should.

The fact it doesn't is the reason I use iAnnotate which does.
First download using iAnnotate, markup, sync back to DropBox using iAnnotate to do file transfer for you.
View file in Windows, annotations are there,
view file on Mac, annotations are there, that is all I want bi directional syncing of annotated PDFs.

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any app which does a better job in transition from PowerPoint to “iPad”?

Thanks in advance – any answer will be appreciated//Peter from Sweden, Europe

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't expect a smooth transition from PowerPoint to Keynote unless your slides are nothing but text. Even with text Keynote made a mess of a two-level bulleted list. It also misplaces figures that I carefully placed beside the relevant points. If you prepare the initial presentation in Keynote you can get an excellent result -- it's the compatibility that never works smoothly across platforms.

Is there any app which does a better job in transition from PowerPoint to “iPad�

Thanks in advance – any answer will be appreciated//Peter from Sweden, Europe

Most reactions

Latest posts