What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best app for saving a web page as a pdf?

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a good app that will let me save a web page as a PDF? I've found some that have their own internal browser, but these get mixed reviews. Is there something that works directly off Safari?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can create a "bookmarklet" in Safari. Then, whenever you want to save a web page, you press the bookmarklet, the web page is converted to a PDF and Safari offers you the choice to "Open in iBooks" or "Open In..." any other PDF reader. If this is what you mean, here's how to create the bookmarklet (which is what I use to make PDFs out of web pages) - you'll be creating a book mark using Java script:

First, make a bookmark:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334351739.217933.jpg

Then, edit the bookmark:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334351767.668270.jpg

Then, enter the Java script in the URL field as shown here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334351805.409850.jpg

The Java script is:

javascript: pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

NOTE: I had to put a space after the first colon, else the forum software would have made an emoticon. Just remove the space after pasting it into your Address field.

Now, with this Java script as a bookmark, any time you are on a web page and you want to make it a PDF, just press the book mark and Safari will do its "magic."

Hope this helps and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. There are many bookmarklets to be made and used. This just happens to be one of my favorites...

OP
Thescatterling

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it. I just tried it and it works great. I copy/pasted the bookmarklet on one of my iPad notes so I I can just go find and copy it. While I was in there I made a note to learn more about bookmarklets.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I could help (and that the info was useful and what you wanted).

Yeah, bookmarklets are pretty awesome. I've got ones to go to the end of a web page, search Amazon, open in iCab browser, save to Evernote, make QR code and re-open with Readability (very handy if the default Reader square doesn't show up in the Safari URL box).

That's the current list. The QR code maker one is very neat cause I can make a QR code of a website, scan it with my phone and then be browsing the web site on the phone. Very handy way to get text back and forth, also.

But I digress.

Again, glad it worked for you.

Marilyn

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Glad I could help (and that the info was useful and what you wanted).

Yeah, bookmarklets are pretty awesome. I've got ones to go to the end of a web page, search Amazon, open in iCab browser, save to Evernote, make QR code and re-open with Readability (very handy if the default Reader square doesn't show up in the Safari URL box).

That's the current list. The QR code maker one is very neat cause I can make a QR code of a website, scan it with my phone and then be browsing the web site on the phone. Very handy way to get text back and forth, also.

But I digress.

Again, glad it worked for you.

Marilyn

What's the QR one? I may find that useful!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the JavaScript for the QR code maker:

javascript:location.href='http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=300x250&chl='+encodeURIComponent(location.href);

Just do the same process as above, but put in this JavaScript...

I was a bit mistaken in that it only makes for the URL of the site you are at. I use this website here (http://goqr.me/) to create QR codes from text, links, etc.

Together, they are very handy. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know about all of them. You know, there are enough of these now that we (by which I mean other people ;) ) should gather them up in a FAQ post.

Thanks, Marilyn.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I didn't know about all of them. You know, there are enough of these now that we (by which I mean other people ;) ) should gather them up in a FAQ post.

Thanks, Marilyn.

Great idea!

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow...never even knew about bookmarklets. Thanks for the really clear instructions.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just had great fun (I don't get out much lol) making QR codes with my new-found bookmarklet skills. This site is fab!

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Thanks, Marilyn.

Yes, please! That would be super!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Thescatterling

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. I'm glad my question helped you guys. I feel like I actually helped instead of sponging off information. Yes, I know I didn't contribute any meaningful information, but why drag logic into this?

Most reactions