What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before you rush out and get a Xoom...

mrphil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gleth said:
Yes, it does:

"The latest version of the Android operating system, known as Gingerbread, is not vulnerable to the exploits DroidDream uses."

There are also the exploits that someone used to get past the Apple controllers that aren't mentioned in the article, but really all they are saying is smart phones and tablets are computers, so people will write malware for them, so beware.

Android or iOS, people need to take a second to think about the free or paid apps they're about to install, like they would for any other method of downloading and installing software they might use.

Have fun,
Gleth

You're contradicting yourself.. The Motorola Xoom runs Honeycomb, not Gingerbread, therefore it is vulnerable.

Read the article.

Reaction score
mrphil said:
You're contradicting yourself.. The Motorola Xoom runs Honeycomb, not Gingerbread, therefore it is vulnerable.

Read the article.

Why?
The article states that the hole is present in android OS prior to Gingerbread. Since Honeycomb is newer then Gingerbread, it can be assumed that the security hole is not present.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrphil said:

Read the article.

Why?
The article states that the hole is present in android OS prior to Gingerbread. Since Honeycomb is newer then Gingerbread, it can be assumed that the security hole is not present.
Assumed is right. But that is not what he said....

"It specifically states in the article that Honeycomb is not vulnerable to these types of attacks."

That is of course not true since the article didn't ever mention Honeycomb.

Michael

mrphil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Why?

Honeycomb and Gingerbread are two different OS's. Honeycomb is a tablet OS, Gingerbread is for mobiles. Those two flavours will marry up in the next "Ice Cream Cake" release in a few months, hence you can't assume Honeycomb has all the security features that Gingerbread has. Perhaps Honeycomb is invulnerable, but you can't assume that just because Gingerbread is. I'd rather see proof.

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason my brain read Gingerbread and "heard" Honeycomb, so my quote was wrong. However, it is just as much an assumption that one is not fixed because the other has been, as it is that one has been fixed because the other has been. Mostly my post was to say that there is no such thing as an exploit-free computing architecture, so it is always a case of buyer beware. (for myself I'm not looking to change from my iPad1 for now, as it's only 44 days old so far :) )

Have fun,
Gleth

mrphil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gleth said:
For some reason my brain read Gingerbread and "heard" Honeycomb, so my quote was wrong. However, it is just as much an assumption that one is not fixed because the other has been, as it is that one has been fixed because the other has been. Mostly my post was to say that there is no such thing as an exploit-free computing architecture, so it is always a case of buyer beware. (for myself I'm not looking to change from my iPad1 for now, as it's only 44 days old so far :) )

Have fun,
Gleth

I agree Gleth, there's no such thing as an exploit-free architecture. My default assumptions are to doubt than to put faith into security hence I wouldn't be surprised if Honeycomb was vulnerable, especially since it was developed by a separate engineering team to Gingerbread and it would only take a simple human error to omit some code.

I neither have any desire to switch from my iPad to an inferior Android platform ;)

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I see a article about the Xoom it reminds of ANOTHER Microsoft failure, the Zune MP3 player.

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I see a article about the Xoom it reminds of ANOTHER Microsoft failure, the Zune MP3 player.

I love my Zune....but when the ipad gets here I am sure it will be in a drawer somw where in my House.

T

kannible

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google doesn't control the hardware - and it shows!

The reason why Android is going to take a long (really long) time to catch up with the iPad can be seen here...
t-gaap.com/2011/3/11/android-tablet-issues-vs-ipad-2?site_locale=en

I'm not allowed to post a link so I hope you can parse and add the standard prefix to get to the site.

This is why Apple is great - controlling the ecosystem means EVERYTHING WORKS right out of the box. Android tablet users will be pulling their hair out for years if they're unlucky enough to buy a non-standard resolution tablet. Even the Xoom had big trouble running many older Apps - lopping off sections of the screen or stretching them so they look really goofy.
Anyway, hope this helps...

goalweiser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. I really didn't want my first post to be an argument over Android vs. Apple operating systems.

I've had a Viewsonic G-Tab for several months and I found that even without "Honeycomb" it is superior in terms of flexibility and customization to the iPad which I own now.

I have not touched the Xoom nor would I due to the price.

But I find a lot of your comments...uninformed. A lot of people keep stressing about the lack of APPS for the Android OS. I had no problem with apps at all on the G-Tab because Android already upscales any app that is on the marketplace.

Let me just clarify this again: every app on the Android Marketplace is already ready to use on a tablet.

However, there are OPTIMIZED apps which tap into the power of the Dual Core processors which are beginning to see on Honeycomb.

I think you guys are so set into Apple's mode of thinking that it escapes you that Android doesn't and never will work like iOS. Apple forces you to upgrade or buy optimized apps specfically made in HD to use on the iPad.

I see this very clearly because of the transition I have made. I used all the same apps I do on my Evo on my G-Tab without any complication or blank space.

On the iPad, there's only a version to 2X which I have to manually click and then the apps still look horrible.

That said, iTunes still gives iPad the advantage. Plain and simple...iTunes is the only true reason why anybody should buy an iPad over anything else on the market.

My post here is not to flame...but to educate. I like the iPad. I don't like the operating system or how they literally force you to "upgrade." But until a reasonably priced Android tablet comes out, I will stick with my current tabs.

Don't get it twisted people. There's a reason why the Android OS is doing so well on phones. The tablet market is just now starting to grow and there's a lot more people getting Android phones these days. They too very soon will understand that you don't have to pay for new apps on Android...but you do if you want better quality on iOS.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. I really didn't want my first post to be an argument over Android vs. Apple operating systems.

I've had a Viewsonic G-Tab for several months and I found that even without "Honeycomb" it is superior in terms of flexibility and customization to the iPad which I own now.

I have not touched the Xoom nor would I due to the price.

But I find a lot of your comments...uninformed. A lot of people keep stressing about the lack of APPS for the Android OS. I had no problem with apps at all on the G-Tab because Android already upscales any app that is on the marketplace.

Let me just clarify this again: every app on the Android Marketplace is already ready to use on a tablet.

However, there are OPTIMIZED apps which tap into the power of the Dual Core processors which are beginning to see on Honeycomb.

I think you guys are so set into Apple's mode of thinking that it escapes you that Android doesn't and never will work like iOS. Apple forces you to upgrade or buy optimized apps specfically made in HD to use on the iPad.

I see this very clearly because of the transition I have made. I used all the same apps I do on my Evo on my G-Tab without any complication or blank space.

On the iPad, there's only a version to 2X which I have to manually click and then the apps still look horrible.

That said, iTunes still gives iPad the advantage. Plain and simple...iTunes is the only true reason why anybody should buy an iPad over anything else on the market.

My post here is not to flame...but to educate. I like the iPad. I don't like the operating system or how they literally force you to "upgrade." But until a reasonably priced Android tablet comes out, I will stick with my current tabs.

Don't get it twisted people. There's a reason why the Android OS is doing so well on phones. The tablet market is just now starting to grow and there's a lot more people getting Android phones these days. They too very soon will understand that you don't have to pay for new apps on Android...but you do if you want better quality on iOS.
No offense taken from me, quite the opposite. I'm alway interested in the experiences from others who see differently. I'd really like to try other tablets but I can't afford the luxury of owning them all and positive criticism is always good to hear.

Most reactions

Latest posts