What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Motorola Xoom Super Bowl Ad Teaser Pokes Fun at Apple Users

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgazU4cN0Dw[/ame]​

Engadget has obtained a second teaser taken from the forthcoming Motorola Xoom tablet Super Bowl ad, and this time they’re directly making fun of Apple users, which is just a tremendous way to attract new customers, isn’t it? Tell them they’re a load of white-headphone wearing sheep, that’s sure to win them over! It starts off with an unsubtle reference to Orwell’s 1984, before showing a guy using the Xoom, who is surrounded by drones in white all with their white headphones on. At first he’s on a subway train platform, surrounded by the white-headphone wearers, then he’s using his Xoom to find out where to buy flowers from, then he’s actually on the subway train with the grim-faced white-headphone wearers, none of who have flowers, of course. Then the teaser finishes rather abruptly, because it is just a teaser after all. You’ll have to tune into the ad during the Super Bowl to see how it all turns out.

Source: Motorola teases the real Xoom Super Bowl ad: George Orwell, flowers, iPhone-using automatons in white hoodies all involved -- Engadget

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He was using the maps app to find the nearest return location for his crappy Android tablet. He is alone because apparently all the others have already returned theirs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But notice how much cleaner and nicer looking the Apple drones are than the PC drones were in Apples original commercial. See? there has been progress. ;)

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an ex-Linux vs. PC guy, a longtime PC vs. Mac guy, and a current iPad owner... all I can say is that to each his own. If one is more comfortable to you than the other, go with it. If you prefer the features of one over the other... then so be it. Do your research, decide which fits you better, then go with that and understand that not everyone thinks likewise.

I have an Android phone and love it, I also have an iPad and think it's awesome. I am very interesting in Honeycomb and hope it takes off, that will just drive tablet progress forward and work out for me in the long run, even if the tablet I own at this very moment is not the top of the line anymore.

It's all relative people, stop bickering so much :)

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kinda interesting how the copy of an iPad is copying a Apple commercial.

"On February 6th Motorola will introduce the Xoom, and you'll see why 2011 will be exactly like 2010... If you had an iPad."

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He was using the maps app to find the nearest return location for his crappy Android tablet. He is alone because apparently all the others have already returned theirs.

Either that or he was looking for a FLORIST since that's what it said on the screen.

Keep drinking that cult kool-aid, tastes good doesn't it?

Please, tell me what makes the Xoom so "crappy."

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, it's marketing. No shocker there. Pepsi vs Coca Cola, MAC vs Windows, all of it is the same. And people will buy according to need or interest. I own several product types. iPad is about my all time favorite, but I have Windows computers at home too, and come from years of Palm OS use too, and 10 years back, people bickered about Palm and Windows Mobile, which was at one point Pocket PC, and these type of wars and insults were flying. Just when I think there's progress, the insults continue to fly instead of people just letting other people live their own lives and enjoy what works for them. But the ad, well, that's marketing, plain and simple. Motorola has paid a fortune to run the ad, so what the heck. Like anything else, I will be more than interested to see the Xoom up close as I like techie stuff!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. The commercial was pretty darn boring! I thought it would show some of the capabilities and uses of the Xoom. For the tablet that won CES for this year, disappointing commercial. I should hope they will do better on subsequent ones.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much did Motorola spend on that ad again?! Motorola should know by now that running vague ads like this against Apple didn't work for Microsoft. Look what happened to the zune.

They should have saved the money and lowered the price of their tablet, or at least waived the requirement to pay for a month of 3G before wifi can be enabled. Oh well.. What are ya gonna do now? Money's spent. As ads go, this one sucked.

Hopefully the tablet is much better than it's ad.

They should have hired these guys to do their ad instead: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDU9An5aPLc[/ame]

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the fee to activate Wi-Fi is Motorola, I think that's Verizon, that way they can get a little money if someone doesn't want a data plan. It sucks, and it's stupid, but it's business I guess.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
How much did Motorola spend on that ad again?! Motorola should know by now that running vague ads like this against Apple didn't work for Microsoft. Look what happened to the zune.

They should have saved the money and lowered the price of their tablet, or at least waived the requirement to pay for a month of 3G before wifi can be enabled. Oh well.. What are ya gonna do now? Money's spent. As ads go, this one sucked.

Hopefully the tablet is much better than it's ad.

They should have hired these guys to do their ad instead: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDU9An5aPLc

My point exactly! Priciest ads going! I don't think anyone noticed it but those looking for it. I wasn't impressed with many of the ads really, but for a brand new product and airing at the most expensive time with as you stated well was vage at best, don't know what they were thinking. I didn't expect a full discourse, but for the money they paid to air it at Super Bowl time was a waste.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so glad this isn't the case with iPad! Couldn't imagine having to pay to activate to connect to my own WIFI! Guess we will see what really happens. Everything remains speculation until products are released.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xoom = $800 + required service + dealing with android and motorola....from a droid user I assure you that is a very bad thing!....iPad = $530 for comparible model no startup fee and it comes from apple who actually updates their software and makes sure you're not going to download apps that try to steal your bank details.

Choices choices...

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
gentlefury said:
Xoom = $800 + required service + dealing with android and motorola....from a droid user I assure you that is a very bad thing!....iPad = $530 for comparible model no startup fee and it comes from apple who actually updates their software and makes sure you're not going to download apps that try to steal your bank details.

Choices choices...

Dare I say you win the internet again today? XD

Most reactions

Latest posts