What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery life

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coolness. Battery life is, I think, the key hardware reason for the iPad's success.

Sure, some netbooks claim up to 10 hours as well. But the second you so much as fart, let alone run anything with Flash, you'll be looking for an AC outlet.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Funny profile pic..dats 1 cool cat!

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I have to be the one to be the downer here. I had phenomenal battery life with my iPad1. I never had to worry about it. I could use it to my hearts content and by the end of the day I never dropped below 35%, though I did charge at the end of every day). With my iPad2, I am getting down much further. For example yesterday, I watched one movie, did some reading on Flipboard, read on the bus using Kindle, read the Daily during the morning, and in the evening I played a few levels of Rise of Atlantis. This would have been typical usage on my iPad1 and I might have gotten down to 45% on such usage, maybe, on the old iPad. On this one, I got to 22%. Now that may not quite be 0% true, but the pace at which the power meter was going down was enough for me to hold back on how much I used it yesterday.

So I have to say that so far, the battery life has been my iPad2's biggest weakness so far.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Funny profile pic..dats 1 cool cat!

Thanks! His name is Spunky!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Apple Newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I have to be the one to be the downer here. I had phenomenal battery life with my iPad1. I never had to worry about it. I could use it to my hearts content and by the end of the day I never dropped below 35%, though I did charge at the end of every day). With my iPad2, I am getting down much further. For example yesterday, I watched one movie, did some reading on Flipboard, read on the bus using Kindle, read the Daily during the morning, and in the evening I played a few levels of Rise of Atlantis. This would have been typical usage on my iPad1 and I might have gotten down to 45% on such usage, maybe, on the old iPad. On this one, I got to 22%. Now that may not quite be 0% true, but the pace at which the power meter was going down was enough for me to hold back on how much I used it yesterday.

So I have to say that so far, the battery life has been my iPad2's biggest weakness so far.

Your right about the battery draining faster than IPad 1. After comparing the two side by side I think I have figured out why. The light sensor keeps the screen much brighter at all times compared to the IPad 1. ATM I have them both sitting side by side, the Ipad1 screen is much dimmer than the IPad2 screen with the screen auto adjustment turned on. Seems they changed the settings in the new model. So I have been manually adjusting the screen brightness.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Newbie said:
Your right about the battery draining faster than IPad 1. After comparing the two side by side I think I have figured out why. The light sensor keeps the screen much brighter at all times compared to the IPad 1. ATM I have them both sitting side by side, the Ipad1 screen is much dimmer than the IPad2 screen with the screen auto adjustment turned on. Seems they changed the settings in the new model. So I have been manually adjusting the screen brightness.

I don't have my 1 to compare it to but yeah, the display kills the battery faster than anything I else I think. But I almost always keep my screen pretty bright. Maybe 75% up and auto-brightness off. I still got 10 plus hours with my Netflix experiment at that setting.

Jerikh0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the battery life of my iPad 1... I stay at campus pretty much the whole day and I never have to worry about my battery running out. This is why my iPad replaced my netbook...I type pretty fast on it also but im still getting used to it.

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I had the brightness bar set at 50% (or that was the default it came with and that seemed fine by me as that was what it was at with the ipad1). i also had auto-brightness on. I have kept auto-brightness on, but I have toned down the brightness setting to around 25-33%. Hopefully that will be fine.

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spaarty said:
Being a first time iPad buyer, I've been really impressed with the battery life as well. I'm so used to having to plug the lap top in every few hours to give it a charge, this is an awesome change for me.

Main reason I went with the iPad besides better portability. My laptop battery only holds an hour charge with light internet usage. I can stretch it out to two if I only use word for writing but that's it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

manddarran

iPF Noob
Reaction score

my ipad1 has way better battery life. no streaming just web and email and 5 hours later at 38% and dropping. not sure what is going on? background apps in 4.3?

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with it. I see about 10% drain per hour of active use which puts it right at the advertised 10 hours.

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been charging it every night since I bought it but now it's time to put it to the test. I charged it last night, unplugged it, checked Facebook and went to school this morning. When I got home at 3:00 it was still at 100%. Now it's 10:00, I'm going to bed, not going to charge it and it's only at 87%. Curious to see how long I can go without a recharge.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts