What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Level Reading

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my iPad New set to display a number representing the charge-level of the battery.

I was just using it downstairs and noted the level was at 97 %. I was getting ready to step out, so I decided to top it off right quick while I get ready. As soon as I plug it in to power, the reading jumps to 100%. Unplug it, back go 97%. Plug it in again, 100% again. Unplug, 97. Plug in one more time, 97% and charging.

What gives?

And my iPad is NOT overheating or getting hot. :)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my iPad New set to display a number representing the charge-level of the battery.

I was just using it downstairs and noted the level was at 97 %. I was getting ready to step out, so I decided to top it off right quick while I get ready. As soon as I plug it in to power, the reading jumps to 100%. Unplug it, back go 97%. Plug it in again, 100% again. Unplug, 97. Plug in one more time, 97% and charging.

What gives?

And my iPad is NOT overheating or getting hot. :)

LOL... That is a neat feature of iOS 5.X. If the charging circuit determines you are within X percentage of full charge, it doesn't kick into Stage 2 or Stage 3 charging. It simply goes to Stage 4 charging which is a top off low current charge.

Same thing happens on the iPhones.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh...ok...that's good to know...stage 4 charging...thanks. :)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh...ok...that's good to know...stage 4 charging...thanks. :)

There is actually a pretty detailed specification for 4 stage and 3 stage charging of Lithium-Ion batteries. The 4 stage version really protects the anode from plating. Between that and one of the three chemical variations, you can get over 500 full cycle charges out of a battery. Which is pretty impressive considering we started out at below 300 just a few years ago.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL... That is a neat feature of iOS 5.X. If the charging circuit determines you are within X percentage of full charge, it doesn't kick into Stage 2 or Stage 3 charging. It simply goes to Stage 4 charging which is a top off low current charge.

Same thing happens on the iPhones.

Thanks for the info. I get everything except it being a "neat" feature. What is so neat about it? 5% being 5% but if I want to be on the road and that 5% may give some peace of mind...

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is neat because it protects the anode of the battery from plating. This means a much longer battery life for the consumer.

But I will agree it is annoying that there isn't a better way to communicate this to the consumer.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I take the explanation.

I can also see people's eyes rolling when they hear this anode plating thingin...

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I take the explanation.

I can also see people's eyes rolling when they hear this anode plating thingin...

No doubt. No one should have to learn chemistry to use a dang cell phone or other portable device.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, how long should an iPad last with the original battery? Is there a point that the battery will become useless?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, how long should an iPad last with the original battery? Is there a point that the battery will become useless?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the battery setup in the iPad (1st Gen) and iPad 2 are both rated for 400 full cycle charges and still able to maintain 80% original capacity. So lets say you recharge it every day from 40% back to 100%.

400 charges * 100% = 40000%
40000% / 60% (per day) = 667 days or 1 year and 10 months roughly.

Now the odds of the average user doing that is pretty slim. That is why 2 to 3 years is the more commonly thrown around number.

With my iPad 2, I recharge every other day when it finally hits 40%. So for me that would be 3 years and 8 months roughly.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the battery setup in the iPad (1st Gen) and iPad 2 are both rated for 400 full cycle charges and still able to maintain 80% original capacity. So lets say you recharge it every day from 40% back to 100%.

Now the odds of the average user doing that is pretty slim. That is why 2 to 3 years is the more commonly thrown around number.

With my iPad 2, I recharge every other day when it finally hits 40%. So for me that would be 3 years and 8 months roughly.

Once again, great info Skull...

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Are you saying that I just spent a ton of money for a product that will only last for approx 3 years?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you saying that I just spent a ton of money for a product that will only last for approx 3 years?

No I am not. I am saying the battery has an expected operational life. In 3 years the battery will only be 80% as powerful as the day you bought it. But it will still work properly.

Think of it this way. If you get 10 hours of usage per 100% charge today, in three years you will only get 8 hours per charge. In 6 years your battery might only give you 5 hour of usage per 100% charge. And yes, the battery will eventually fail. At that point you have two choices. Buy the iPad (9th Gen) or buy a new battery, if you can find one ;)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an issue reported about issues with the battery indicator on the new iPads. It sounds like a software tweek will come out in the near future to fix it. MacRumors has the story.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If your battery is weak, Apple has a program to swap you a refurbished iPad for $99 if you don't have Applecare. It of course cannot an upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts