What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery level indicator?

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many charge cycles does it usually take before the battery level indicator is actually accurate at estimating battery level? Also, when doing a battery cycle, do they mean fully letting the iPad battery die and then recharge it to full battery or just to use it normally and just recharge it a few times once I'm done using it?

Off-topic: I'm loving the iPad keyboard... It's very very accurate and responsive and I can type on it at a rate almost that of how fast I can type on a physical keyboard... But I do make a mistake every one in a while.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't know it was inaccurate, but then I've never fully drained it.

Given the long battery life I'm quite happy to accept it as a rough estimate and only bother recharging around 20%, unless I'm anticipating heavy usage at some stage.

OP
C

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't know it was inaccurate, but then I've never fully drained it.

Given the long battery life I'm quite happy to accept it as a rough estimate and only bother recharging around 20%, unless I'm anticipating heavy usage at some stage.

Well, it I'd pretty accurate, but when I first received my iPad and took it out of its box, I turned it on and played with it a bit and the battery level indicator was going down 1% every 5-10 minutes, but after letting it charge overnight it seems to have calibrated a bit mire and it seems to be more accurate... This could have been just because I instantly started using it the second I took it out of the box, but all seems well now.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
..... I instantly started using it the second I took it out of the box......
Lol didn't we all!

Glad it's settled down though. You've probably got a frisky one.....

abriwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder why mine has a little message 'battery not charging' when it's connected to the Mac but charges when connected to the power adapter?

I wasn't aware that it was necc to deplete the battery completely before recharging but then one would have to connect it to a Mac to do sync -yes?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder why mine has a little message 'battery not charging' when it's connected to the Mac but charges when connected to the power adapter?
Wonder no more! There is a handy little document called the iPad User Guide that is a free .pdf download in the support section of the Apple web site.

Here is a snippet from the guide:

battery.jpg

As far as the not charging message, this is what you will see when you plug your iPad into a computer's USB port. It is actually charging, but verrrrrrrry slowly.

Here is a link to the page where you can download the iPad User Guide.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

It is 154 pages long so it will take a few minutes. After you download it, save it so you don't have to download it every time you want to look at it. Also, there is a bookmark in Safari on your iPad with a link to the online iPad User Guide.

Lots of good stuff in there!

Eatosk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad only charges to 95% it never goes to 100%. I'm not sure why. I have drained the battery a few times and when I charge it (usually overnight) the battery only charges to 95%.

abriwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to charge or not to charge that is the question

Many thanks to iPad Master for the most complete answer to my question

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Você é bem-vindo!

Apple has User Guides for many of its products in Portuguese, but unfortunately they do not have one for the iPad yet. They do have a Spanish version of the iPad manual. Obviously you seem to know English very well, but they do have the User Guide for the iPod Touch in Portuguese and that might help since the iPad and the iPod Touch share many similar features.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out battery apps, I bought a battery app for a buck, when u open app, it talks and tells u the battery level.

Also, it tells u how much time remaining for surfing net, watching videos, listening to music, etc..

And u have option to decorate the pic of battery in the app, as well as background, pretty cool.

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also get the user manual as an ebook from the iBook store as a free download.

abriwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an Englishman in Ol' Portugal

Thanks again oh Master but thankfully I have no need for the iPad manual in Portuguese. However on reading the bits that matter I find no easy way to add folders in Safari and when having added a pdf file to home page find it's not the file but just a page link. Is tere a way to save a pdf file or do I have to download it on the Mac and then use iTunes to get it into the iPad. What a cack handed way of doing things. :(

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... the thing to remember about the iPad is that it is NOT just some sort of re-packaged laptop. It is a consumption device and therefore you need to think of it a little differently. There are many .pdf readers out there, but they involved saving the actual file somewhere either on a "cloud" or saving it internally in your iPad through iTunes. Sorry! As a matter of fact, the iBooks eReader is very good at that very function.

Most reactions

Latest posts