What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Reader available for free for iOS

wicked

iPF Noob
Reaction score

adobe-reader-iphone-3.jpg

After years of waiting, Adobe has finally released an iOS version of Adobe Reader that will let you view PDFs, encrypted files included. You can also print and share files, but you can’t edit the PDFs.

Maybe to make up for the long lost time of not being a part of Apple products, Adobe has decided to share the application for free.

Adobe Readeer is known as a standard, reliable PDF viewer around the world. The app will let you open files from email, Web or any other application that supports “Open In…â€, as well as view PDF Portfolios and Packages. It will also allow you to use text annotations and access encrypted files, as it supports encryptions up to AES256.

Searching within the document will also be available of iOS users as well as using bookmarks. Scrolling can be set to single pages or continuous and the app will allow you to select and copy the text to the clipboard. The numerous tap zones included on the page let you jump back and forth between documents by tapping to the left and right edges in Single Page mode.

The launch of the Acrobat Reader for iPhones and iPads was set up for a couple of months, when Adobe released an app named CreatePDF, which allowed users to convert a series or documents into PDF files, while preserving the quality and accesibillity standards within the document.

The app can be found in the Apple store for free download for iPhone and iPad.

By Radu Tyrsina
Source: TiPb

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Wicked-this is good news. By the way, are you a moderator for some of the Android forums? Your named sounds familiar-especially the iconia forum. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll be curious how this Adobe Reader offering will compare w/ some of the other options for the iPad, such as GoodReader in terms of the features offered?

I'm coming from the PC world and always disliked Adobe's offering for that OS (i.e. large, bloated, and slow) - my preferred PDF reader on that platform has been Foxit for years (small footprint, quick, and w/ some useful features) - looking forward to comparison comments for the iOS offerings - :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be curious how this Adobe Reader offering will compare w/ some of the other options for the iPad, such as GoodReader in terms of the features offered?

I'm coming from the PC world and always disliked Adobe's offering for that OS (i.e. large, bloated, and slow) - my preferred PDF reader on that platform has been Foxit for years (small footprint, quick, and w/ some useful features) - looking forward to comparison comments for the iOS offerings - :)
I was right there with you when I read about the Adobe Reader App a while back. With the historical eternal bloat of Adobe's other software, I decided to see just how big this new app is and compare it to a couple of others.

7.6 MB - Adobe Reader (1 file - User Manual)
22 MB - GoodReader (No files)
23 MB - iAnnotate (1 file - User Guide - and yes, that's MB Vs KB!)

You could have knocked me over with a feather! I expected Adobe Reader to be the Fat Albert of the bunch, but Adobe seems to really have gotten the message. This is a bit of an apples/oranges side-by-side, and talk about being late to the party...but I'm still a bit shocked.

I didn't do more than open it up to have a look, so I have no idea how well it works as compared to the competition, but it doesn't appear that the App's size is going to be an issue.

I'll be interested to hear about the road tests as well!

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was right there with you when I read about the Adobe Reader App a while back. With the historical eternal bloat of Adobe's other software, I decided to see just how big this new app is and compare it to a couple of others.

85.2KB - Adobe Reader (1 file - User Manual)
85.3KB - GoodReader (No files)
21.9MB - iAnnotate (1 file - User Guide - and yes, that's MB Vs KB....

Hi Rich - not sure about those numbers quoted above, esp. the KB - sounds like the days when I had an Apple II+? :)

Looking on my iPad 'Usage' setting for GoodReader, the app size is listed at 23.6 MB (of course w/o my added files) - but this is a versatile program, as we know!

Now I've not yet downloaded the Adobe Reader, but on the App store, the size listing is 5.9 MB, so just curious where your KB sizes have originated? Dave

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich - not sure about those numbers quoted above, esp. the KB - sounds like the days when I had an Apple II+? :)

Looking on my iPad 'Usage' setting for GoodReader, the app size is listed at 23.6 MB (of course w/o my added files) - but this is a versatile program, as we know!

Now I've not yet downloaded the Adobe Reader, but on the App store, the size listing is 5.9 MB, so just curious where your KB sizes have originated? Dave
Hmmm...not sure where you got those numbers...they're not mine...check my post again.

Kidding. You are correct sir! My mistake. :eek: I looked at the iCloud backup numbers on the iPad...obviously they would only reflect the data being backed up...which would not include the App. D'oh! I've updated my post.

These are the "real" numbers...according to iTunes on my Mac at least...

7.6 MB - Adobe Reader (1 file - User Manual)
22 MB - GoodReader (No files)
23 MB - iAnnotate (1 file - User Guide)

The spirit of my post is the same though...Adobe did very well with keeping their app slim by comparison...which is still surprising given their track record.

Thanks for keeping me honest! ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmm...not sure where you got those numbers...they're not mine...check my post again................

The spirit of my post is the same though...Adobe did very well with keeping their app slim by comparison...which is still surprising given their track record.......

Thanks for keeping me honest! ;)

Hi Rich - I guess we all need to be kept honest, occasionally! :D

But OH those early computer days when programs using just KB of memory performed so admirably - miss those days never to return!

Not sure that I need to obtain the Adobe product for my iPad w/ the other apps I have already but if better than their PC offering, then? Dave - :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich - I guess we all need to be kept honest, occasionally! :D

But OH those early computer days when programs using just KB of memory performed so admirably - miss those days never to return!

Not sure that I need to obtain the Adobe product for my iPad w/ the other apps I have already but if better than their PC offering, then? Dave - :)
Agreed...kids today will be growing up with not just MB's, but GB's and TB's and...and... KB didn't look foreign to me at all. Dating myself now. :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts