What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banking security from iPad 2

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is just as secure as any other computer (take that for what it's worth)...where most people get their banking "hacked" is when they use wifi from public or unknown sources. If you are using Starbucks or work wifi to do your banking all your information (account number, passwords, etc) have to pass through their servers...which mean they are STORED on their servers. If someone wanted to they could get that information & get into your account. The other way to get your information stolen is also in a public place. There is software hackers use to intercept your signal & can see what you're doing on your ipad/laptop, etc....

So basically, don't do anything with sensitive information on public or unknown wifi...

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
yes, just don't use any public or open wifi hotspots and you will be safe doing banking from iPad. visiting banking sites via iPad uses the same security you would get from a normal computer.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As the other posters say, do not do anything on your iPad on a public or open wifi. I tried at an airport last year to buy some Internet time. Put in my card details and never was able to get the time but in that short space of time, someone got my card details and spent 391 pounds!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikespe said:
The iPad is just as secure as any other computer (take that for what it's worth)...where most people get their banking "hacked" is when they use wifi from public or unknown sources. If you are using Starbucks or work wifi to do your banking all your information (account number, passwords, etc) have to pass through their servers...which mean they are STORED on their servers. If someone wanted to they could get that information & get into your account. The other way to get your information stolen is also in a public place. There is software hackers use to intercept your signal & can see what you're doing on your ipad/laptop, etc....

So basically, don't do anything with sensitive information on public or unknown wifi...

Good advice!!! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agreed.

Other stuff to look out for:

Beware of phishing scams: Scammers send fake emails and texts, saying your account needs updating, has been compromised, etc., and ask you to contact them via Web, phone, email, etc., and scam people into revealing account info and other private info, which they then use fraudulently. If you get any kind of alert, you should contact your bank via contact info that you've confirmed is legit. Their contact info appears on your statements, on the back of your debit and credit cards, for instance. You also can google to check. For instance, I got a text saying that my card had been compromised, I googled and found that the phone number mentioned in the text was part of a scam reported by others. I took a screen capture of the text and sent it to the bank, so they could pursue as needed.

Some websites have been compromised because hackers have stolen SSL certification (which is how consumers are supposed to tell whether a website is secured). You can't do anything directly to verify that (partly because banks and other companies often hide when they've been victimized, or they don't catch on till too late), but you can monitor your account activity consistently and see whether all purchases, etc., are legit. Some scammers try small purchases (like buying something for a few bucks or 99 cents) before going for big fake purchases. If you see anything suspicious on your statements, best to check early and not shrug off because an unfamiliar purchase is only for a small amount.

When banking or doing other financial transactions via iPad, you also can use the apps from your financial institutions. But you still should monitor your account activity. Recently it was reported that one bank was double charging customers on some transactions they'd done via iPad. The bank said it was a software error, but who knows.

Best to protect yourself, because it's your money and credit record.

mikeyl46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi can anyone tell me if doing banking on iPad when using 3G is secure?

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
As above Mikey, the 3G means only that it's not connecting Wirelessly. Always make sure your careful with your passwords and people aren't looking over your shoulder when entering sensitive material.
The iPad is as secure as any PC but it's usually stupidity and not security to blame for most security issues!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G has and can be compromised as well, but it's generally safer. For more info, this thread might be of interest:

iphone - Is data transmitted over 3G secure? - Apple - Stack Exchange

Basically, the best way you can protect yourself is:

-- Don't use public wifi or any wifi unless you know how it's secured and who else might be on it.
-- VPN can offer extra security if you want to spring for the costs.
-- Check for SSL certification on websites (like I mentioned, that's not a guarantee, either).
-- Monitor your account activity and raise concerns early about suspicious activity.
-- Use apps from your financial institution and monitor your account activity.
-- Be suspicious anytime you're asked for financial info, and check who's asking.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In some ways, banking on iPad might be arguably safer than banking via PC, depending on how good you are at protecting yourself from viruses and such on PC. The way that iPad is sandboxed from viruses can help consumers. If your PC picks up a virus, scammers can relatively easily access your accounts.

For further info, this is a good overview, even though it's from 2010:

Banks seek customers' help to stop online thieves - USATODAY.com

Basically, the best protection is a vigilant account holder, even with banking security measures.

DebiRose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have concerns in relation to using my iPad now - as I've just been notified by my Credit Union (I don't use a bank), that someone purchased a kitchen item for .99cents online in America, and then when that went through successfully, they tried to put through a purchase of around $300.00 - can anyone tell me what app to use to secure the information on my iPad please? Thankfully Police & Nurses Credit Union saw it and stopped it in time, but I don't like the idea that my data has been compromised. What else may they have scammed from my iPad?
I already do, and don't do all of the above, so am concerned as to how they got hold of my credit card details in the first place. Reason I'm so tight with my data is that I used to do the banking for a company, so am well versed in the possibilities.
The one thing that the guys from PNCS told me was to get a security application for my iPad - that they all had them on theirs. Now I've gone to the Apple store, and can only see apps for business, nothing for peeps like myself. Can anyone recommend something please?
Thanks for any input/light you can shed or share on this issue for me.

Most reactions