What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad camera, 2nd broken ipad in one week!?

Thomasx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

My frist iPad 3, bought last friday when it was released here in Sweden had à bad microphone.

Got à new one today and the forward facing camera seems really bad o this one.

I attached two photos to this post, one with the backside camera and one with the front camera. Both taken at the same time, distance, light and of the same object.

What say you, another bad ipad? Should I return this one too, new out of the box 5 min before I took the photos, and go for a 3rd one.
I took sone pictures with the one Ireturned and did not notice any problems or differences, and I have a hard time believibg this is a self-fix problem.

Attachments

• image-1952807874.jpg
    image-1952807874.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 751
  • image-2387884056.jpg
    image-2387884056.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 756
OP
T

Thomasx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both photos were taken with the ipad in portrait position, and are like that in my photo library, why one of them popped up lyong down in the post is a mystery to me, sorry about that.

I also notice that the quality of the photo is lower now in the post than in my ipad, i guess the quality is degraded when uploaded. The poor photo however it is not possible to notice any degradation, too poor to begin with.

Last edited:

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are two different cameras, the one on the back is a better camera and should be taking better quality photos.

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thomasx said:
Hi

My frist iPad 3, bought last friday when it was released here in Sweden had à bad microphone.

I attached two photos to this post, one with the backside camera and one with the front camera. Both taken at the same time, distance, light and of the same object.

What say you, another bad ipad? Should I return this one too, new out of the box 5 min before I took the photos, and go for a 3rd one.
I took sone pictures with the one Ireturned and did not notice any problems or differences, and I have a hard time believibg this is a self-fix problem.

The backside camera is 5 megapixels whereas the front facing camera is VGA. Sorry if I sound kinda jerkish, but how could you spend $500+ on a product and not have researched the specs?

Last edited:
OP
T

Thomasx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are two different cameras, the one on the back is a better camera and should be taking better quality photos.

Yes, but the question is, should the front one be this bad? Even though it's just VGA, it should still be sharp at that resolution and certainly not completely smeared with noise. Didn't notice this with the first Ipad 3 I had, and I did take a number of photos with both cameras on it.

OP
T

Thomasx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backside camera is 5 megapixels whereas the front facing camera is 2 megapixels. Sorry if I sound kinda jerkish, but how could you spend $500+ on a product and not have researched the specs?

Funny how it says you sent your post from your Ipad 3, when you didn't do the research yourself. The front camera is VGA, 640x480 pixels.

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Perhaps the pics you provided are not a great example, because the results look fairly typical of the hardware specs of each camera to me. The front-facing camera is standard VGA and designed for low resolution use, i.e. FaceTime etc. I'm not seeing where your issue is from the examples you have supplied. If you really are concerned about the hardware and believe you have a hardware fault, take it into an Apple store or get an RMA number from Online Apple Store. My gut feeling is that your cameras are working as designed though I'm no expert, just going on the evidence supplied. :thumbs:

Here's the specs, just for reference: Apple - The new iPad - View all the technical specifications.

OP
T

Thomasx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps the pics you provided are not a great example,

No, perhaps not, I chose them because I had one from each camera. I'll see if I can upload one of the more worse examples later today.
I'll also see if I can jumpstart my first, 14 year old digital camera with similar resolution, for comparison. I cannot remember any photos from that one being this bad.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The back camera the better one and takes good photos and even better videos. The front facing camera is really just meant for FaceTime and Skype that's why it has a low resolution.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thomasx said:
Hi

Sigh...... One is VGA, it has crappy quality. Everyone knows that.

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thomasx said:
Funny how it says you sent your post from your Ipad 3, when you didn't do the research yourself. The front camera is VGA, 640x480 pixels.

I meant to put .2 megapixels because that is a more understandable form instead of VGA. It has been corrected all mighty Thomasx lord of autocorrect.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thomasx said:
Hi

The front camera is just of poor quality. Nothing is wrong with your iPad. As you say, it is a bad camera, but this is by design.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to put .2 megapixels because that is a more understandable form instead of VGA. It has been corrected all mighty Thomasx lord of autocorrect.
This is a friendly forum. Your sarcasm is not acceptable.

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
This is a friendly forum. Your sarcasm is not acceptable.

I apologize, I was simply replying with sarcasm to a sarcastic reply, it won't happen again. However a private message to tell me this was sufficient enough, I do not appreciate being publicly chastised like a child, I am 25 you can address me one on one. I Hope this opens up future better communication and no disrespect intended.

Most reactions

Latest posts