What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Safari Bookmarks?

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a scare tonight & thought I'd lost all my bookmarks - luckily it was a wifi problem & fixed itself, but I started looking up how to back them up - and I can't seem to do it.

I found a few threads about it, but all gave instructions along the lines of, "in iCloud on your device, turn syncing bookmarks on."

My iCloud menu doesn't have an option for syncing bookmarks. Nor when I connect it to my laptop to sync with iTunes do I have any option regarding bookmarks, to turn them on, off, sync them etc.

Below is what I see in the iCloud settings.

I'm using an iPad 2, running IOS 7.1.2 (waiting for Yosemite to update), and my laptop is a MacBook Pro.

Anyone have any suggestions? I guess if I just did a restore from iTunes, that'd do it, but it seems a bit drastic and I'd like the option to actively back them up, if possible.

I also stumbled across some ads for software called "iPad Data Recovery" and "Safari Bookmarks Recovery", but don't know whether to trust them or not - anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for any help.
image.jpg

chezlong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi auntyj, I can't help you unfortunately but hoping you can help me - how do you ask a new question on here? :oops:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a scare tonight & thought I'd lost all my bookmarks - luckily it was a wifi problem & fixed itself, but I started looking up how to back them up - and I can't seem to do it.

I found a few threads about it, but all gave instructions along the lines of, "in iCloud on your device, turn syncing bookmarks on."

My iCloud menu doesn't have an option for syncing bookmarks. Nor when I connect it to my laptop to sync with iTunes do I have any option regarding bookmarks, to turn them on, off, sync them etc.

Below is what I see in the iCloud settings.

I'm using an iPad 2, running IOS 7.1.2 (waiting for Yosemite to update), and my laptop is a MacBook Pro.

Anyone have any suggestions? I guess if I just did a restore from iTunes, that'd do it, but it seems a bit drastic and I'd like the option to actively back them up, if possible.

I also stumbled across some ads for software called "iPad Data Recovery" and "Safari Bookmarks Recovery", but don't know whether to trust them or not - anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for any help.
View attachment 60642
I see that you enabled Safari in iCloud. This should sync and backup the bookmarks.

Before you have to restore, try this:
Force close Safari, the app. Reset your iPad and then restart it. Maybe they'll appear afterwards.

OP
A

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see that you enabled Safari in iCloud. This should sync and backup the bookmarks.

Before you have to restore, try this:
Force close Safari, the app. Reset your iPad and then restart it. Maybe they'll appear afterwards.
Thank you, I thought there must be a simpler way.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are real paranoid, you can export your Safari bookmarks on the Mac; where they can also be imported. It's under the File menu.

I don't think the export/import features preserve your organization, so it is definitly a second, just-in-case option.

Edit: You'll want to make sure you have you're Safari syncing turned on in iCloud Preferences on the Mac, so that they are the same as on the iPad. If they are currently different, I don't' know what will happen. Probably you'll get a choice of keeping the iCloud, the computer, or merging the two.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts