What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup password?

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am now the proud new owner of an iPad Air. Since I had the first generation iPad before, but it was set with apps the way I wanted it, I backed it up completely last night before buying my air today. Unfortunately, when I tried to restore the backup to my new iPad, it asked me for a password. First of all, I don't remember ever setting a password, but since I apparently did and forgot it, is there anyway to recover it?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am now the proud new owner of an iPad Air. Since I had the first generation iPad before, but it was set with apps the way I wanted it, I backed it up completely last night before buying my air today. Unfortunately, when I tried to restore the backup to my new iPad, it asked me for a password. First of all, I don't remember ever setting a password, but since I apparently did and forgot it, is there anyway to recover it?
I suppose what your device was asking for was the passcode lock. Afaik there's no way to recover it.
Here's what you have to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You likely set up an encrypted backup, which requires the password to download to another device. Johanna is correct in that there is no way to recover the password. All data on the backup is, unfortunately lost.

OP
E

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I've decided that might be a good thing in the end, but it will take me much longer to set everything up. I guess now is a good time to go through all my apps and get rid of any that I no longer want.

Thanks again.

OP
E

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm back with another question. Now, I have decided to continue to use my iPad 1 in a limited way. If I do a Restore it to the factory default, will that eliminate the encryption on the backup?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm back with another question. Now, I have decided to continue to use my iPad 1 in a limited way. If I do a Restore it to the factory default, will that eliminate the encryption on the backup?
I'm afraid not. The backup is stored in iTunes on your computer and nothing you do to your iPad will affect the backup. The only way to be able to use the encrypted backup is to remember the password. There's no way to circumvent the password requirement.

OP
E

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Thanks. I may just have to give this iPad to my daughter. Will it still have an encrypted backup if she adds it to her iTunes account?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Thanks. I may just have to give this iPad to my daughter. Will it still have an encrypted backup if she adds it to her iTunes account?
If you restore the iPad to factory condition and your daughter sets it up as a new iPad using her Apple ID there will be no problems. The encrypted backup is associated with your Apple ID, not hers. There is a downside though. The latest iOS version for the iPad 1 is iOS 5.1.1 and this limits the apps that can be used.

OP
E

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"There is a downside though. The latest iOS version for the iPad 1 is iOS 5.1.1 and this limits the apps that can be used."

I know that and my daughter is aware of it as well. I guess it will depend on what she wants to use it for.

Thanks for your help.

Most reactions