What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup iPad Pro 3rd Generation

yay4Jesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! What's the best way to backup my iPad Pro 3rd Generation to my SanDisk Flash Drive?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to send a backup to external storage on the iPad. You can do a backup of your iPad in iTunes on a computer, and then (after digging around in the probably hidden files) move that backup file to a flash drive; however there is no way for you to restore from that flash drive. You would have to move it back to the right directory on the computer, and do the restore that way.

If there are just some files and directories that you'd like to have copies of, that is doable. Either manually, using The Files app, or using a few different storage/utility apps. I can't recommend any of the last, since I don't use them.

Apple only offers two real backup options for iOS and iPadOS; iTunes and iCloud. No third party app has the access to make a true, restorable backup.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi! What's the best way to backup my iPad Pro 3rd Generation to my SanDisk Flash Drive?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) TP has already answered your question(s), but for those w/ a Mac or PC computer, backup to the internal drives w/ a cabled iDevice is another option - iTunes no longer exists in the more recent Mac OSs and backup is done in Finder; if still on an Apple computer using iTunes, then a choice. For a PC, iTunes is still a cabled option - more information HERE for those interested in this alternate to an iCloud backup which I use most often. Dave

OP
Y

yay4Jesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) TP has already answered your question(s), but for those w/ a Mac or PC computer, backup to the internal drives w/ a cabled iDevice is another option - iTunes no longer exists in the more recent Mac OSs and backup is done in Finder; if still on an Apple computer using iTunes, then a choice. For a PC, iTunes is still a cabled option - more information HERE for those interested in this alternate to an iCloud backup which I use most often. Dave
Thanks for the reply! Sadly, my MacBook is the 2010 and if I update to a newer OS I wouldn't be able to use my graphics software. So, I'm at a stand still there. The best solution I can come up with is to transfer my google photos and photos on my ipad pro to a flash drive to free up more space in google photos and icloud. I sure wish they had Time Machine for ipads!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Sadly, my MacBook is the 2010 and if I update to a newer OS I wouldn't be able to use my graphics software. So, I'm at a stand still there. The best solution I can come up with is to transfer my google photos and photos on my ipad pro to a flash drive to free up more space in google photos and icloud. I sure wish they had Time Machine for ipads!

Hello again - first tell us 'what' your main issue may be? My assumption is that the storage on your iPad Pro is being 'filled' by photo files - correct? If so, where are these images originating, e.g. from the iPad's camera and/or loaded on from other sources? Do you have other storage issues taking up space on your iPad?

BUT, if images are your main storage issue, why isn't Google and iCloud solving the problem? Seems like there would be plenty of storage in those locations (iCloud Choices). Now there are certainly ways to get images off your iPad (many using Wi-Fi as the go-between) - let me just mention one that I have used, i.e. RavPower Hub shown below (LINK) - this device can create a local Wi-Fi network that you can join w/ your iPad and then transfer photos (MANY!) to a SD card in the device (of course, those cards can have HIGH capacity) - for more permanent storage the SD cards can transfer their contents to other storage units - unfortunately, this model (which I own) is 'out of stock' - likely will be back because so many features are offered at a 'steal' - now, there are likely other such devices on the market if you want to search. Dave :)
RavPower.png

OP
Y

yay4Jesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I made sure I had plenty of memory on my iPad Pro when I purchased it, 500 gb. That's not the issue. The problem is my Google storage is maxed out and my iCloud doesn't have enough space to backup my iPad. So, I first thought instead of paying 2 monthly fees I would just back it up on an external hard drive until I found that isn't possible.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go into Settings > Your Account (very top) > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Manage Storage > Backups then chose your device, you can turn off backup for any app you don’t care about. You can also delete the current backup, which may reduce the size, since backups are incremental.

If you do, the next backup will take quite a while.

Also, while I understand you not wanting two subscriptions fees, it’s only $1 a month to up your iCloud storage to 50 GB, which will handle pretty much any backup you can throw at it.

OP
Y

yay4Jesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again - first tell us 'what' your main issue may be? My assumption is that the storage on your iPad Pro is being 'filled' by photo files - correct? If so, where are these images originating, e.g. from the iPad's camera and/or loaded on from other sources? Do you have other storage issues taking up space on your iPad?

BUT, if images are your main storage issue, why isn't Google and iCloud solving the problem? Seems like there would be plenty of storage in those locations (iCloud Choices). Now there are certainly ways to get images off your iPad (many using Wi-Fi as the go-between) - let me just mention one that I have used, i.e. RavPower Hub shown below (LINK) - this device can create a local Wi-Fi network that you can join w/ your iPad and then transfer photos (MANY!) to a SD card in the device (of course, those cards can have HIGH capacity) - for more permanent storage the SD cards can transfer their contents to other storage units - unfortunately, this model (which I own) is 'out of stock' - likely will be back because so many features are offered at a 'steal' - now, there are likely other such devices on the market if you want to search. Dave :)
View attachment 94174
Ok, great! Thanks so much for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts