What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup and restore question.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please forgive me for posting this question regarding an iPhone in this forum. I posted this question in the iPhone forum but have not received any answers. I am asking here because of its vast pool of knowledge and I believe the same question would apply to iPads.<br><br>AT&amp;T sent me unlocking instructions, below. Basically go to iTunes
and do a backup and restore if I understand correctly. I upgraded from a 3Gs to a 4S whose info is on iTunes. If I connect the 3Gs and do the
restore will it mess up my 4Gs info?<br>
<br>
<br>
Thank you for contacting AT&amp;T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.<br>
We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.<br>
To complete the unlock, simply:<br>
1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have internet connectivity.<br>
2. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.<br>
3. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes .<br>
For information on backup and restore, please visit <a href="http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414" target="_blank">iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software</a>.<br>
4. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.<br>
Additional information on unlocking can be found at <a href="http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198" target="_blank">iPhone: Troubleshooting authorized unlock issues</a>.<br>
For questions regarding AT&amp;T’s wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.<br>
We thank you for your continued business and look forward to providing you with the best customer service.<br>
Sincerely,<br>
AT&amp;T Customer Care Team

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Never mind. I missread your post the first time. Nothing you do with the old iPhone should affect the new one. iTunes will treat each device differently. To be absolutely certain you can go into Settings > General > About and make sure each device has a unique name.

I don't know about the unlock part, but using you iPhone 3G backup to restore the new iPhone should work fine. This is the normal method for migrating to a new device. Besides the Restore from Backup you will also need to go through your sync setting and do a sync to get the apps transfered.

Be sure to do a backup and Transfer Purchases with the old iPhone before restoring and syncing the new one.

Anything this process misses should still be on the old iPhone, so double check all your content and apps before doing away with it.

Last edited:
OP
A

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, renaming the old phone, backing up and restoring worked fine w/o affecting the new phone. BTW, the unlock of the old phone worked fine.

Most reactions