What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore from backup

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, apparently the new iTunes has changed some of the settings and button locations. For example, we're supposed to be able to right click on the device, and then select either backup or restore on the iTunes as per following link.
iOS: How to back up

However, with the newer iTunes this isn't possible anymore. Anyone know how this can be done?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Click on your ipad/iphone button at the top right of the itunes window (next to the itunes store/library button), then you will have the option to backup now or restore. No need for right clicking anymore.

OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that but if I click on the button, it takes me to the Summary page for the device where I can see the options Back Up Now or Restore Backup under the Manually Back Up and Restore. When I selected Restore Backup it only has one image for me to select from. So where can I find all the previous backups saved from the syncs I have done previously?

Just put the device into DFU mode (I jail broke the iPad and App Store didn't work), and upon restoring the factory setting, iTunes ask if I want to set it as a new device or restore from a backup. I tried selecting to restore from a backup but it says the iOS is too told and recommended to choose the set it as a new device option first then restore from backup. Unfortunately doing so, it apparently did a backup and overwrote the one and only backup image I see from the Restore Backup button. So did my back up image really got over written? Where can I find them if I use Windows Explorer?

Luckily I didn't have much customization and I'm able to still find all my apps and photos on iTunes to restore pretty much everything. But seriously, is there no more than one backup iTunes will keep at any one time? That appears to be silly.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a general rule, yes, iTunes only keeps one backup per device. If you want to save older ones, navigate to the iTunes folder on your computer and copy that backup to put in a different place. Normally, iTunes just overwrites the backup it has, so saving it elsewhere will save that particular backup.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts