What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up data on iCloud

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that my FileManager app does not show up under the Backup Options in the iCloud Manage Storage section in Settings. Are some apps not compatible with iCloud storage? If so, too bad, because this would be the type of data that would be useful to backup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is up to the developer to support iCloud backups.

Even so, other than disaster recover and moving to a new iOS device, iCloud backups are not a good solution. You can only restore your entire device, and you only get the last backup made (not a history of files). This, along with the rather limited 5GB of free iCloud space is probably why your app does not support iCloud backups.

For real security/recover of your files in iOS, be sure to save them elsewhere.

That's not so say iCloud backups are bad. For what they do, they're great. But I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in wishing iCloud would become a better solution for individual file history and recover. Then again, I've got the extra iCloud space to support those kind of features. Most don't.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How then does one back up the data contained, say, in my FileManager app? I have backed-up my iPad to my laptop via iTunes and see the FileManager app on the apps screen in iTunes. But where is the data in those apps? I am unable to view it on my laptop computer. I know how to back up files on my computer, but backing up files on my iPad has me stumped. Thanks for the help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the FileManager app.

Things it may do, based on other apps are:

Connect to your computer using and IP address and browser.
FTP
Sync with online services like DropBox or Box.com
Use the iTunes File Sharing.

You'll have to read the description and/or support pages for your app to find out what methods are available.

Most reactions