What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avoiding the Home Button

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want to delete it, what do you have to do? Just curious that's all!!
To turn off the dot, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch and turn it off. You can also set up Settings > General > Accessibility > Triple-Click to use the home button to toggle AssistiveTouch on and off.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using the assistive touch feature for the last several months and show it to my patients who have dexterity issues. It works great for me and am able to control a lot of features without having to physically press the home button. It's good for anyone to use.

Have a look at this thread created at iPhonesforums. I will be posting this shortly to this forum as well so all members can see.

Assisstive Touch Setting

And also the link for this site: http://www.ipadforums.net/special-needs-ipad-forum/99467-assistive-touch-setting-new-post.html

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using the assistive touch feature for the last several months and show it to my patients who have dexterity issues. It works great for me and am able to control a lot of features without having to physically press the home button. It's good for anyone to use.

Have a look at this thread created at iPhonesforums. I will be posting this shortly to this forum as well so all members can see.

Assisstive Touch Setting

Also for this forum, here is the link: http://www.ipadforums.net/special-needs-ipad-forum/99467-assistive-touch-setting-new-post.html
Very helpful tutorial with screenshots. Thank you for the link

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I no longer use the home button. I found these tips in my November issue of Mac|Life:

Home Screen When you're in an app put your thumb and four fingers spread out on the screen, like you are claw-machine hand about to scoop up a toy. Pinch in, and the app "folds in" on itself, and you go right to the home screen -- no button required.

Multitasking bar Forget double tapping Home to see the multitasking bar. Just drag up with four or five fingers, and there is is. Tap the screen above the multitasking bar to close it up again. And don't forget the column, brightness, playback, and AirPlay controls if you swipe left-to-right on the bar, too. That's a much faster way to change the brightness than opening up the Settings app.

Quick app switching This is our favorite gesture of all: use five fingers to swipe from right-to-left on the screen, and you'll scroll between your apps -- the same apps you's see in the multitask bar, but full-screen apps, saved in their previous states. Once you're cycling through them, you can also swipe left-to-right to go back.

Hope you find these as useful as I have.

Potus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
garybrian said:
If you want to delete it, what do you have to do? Just curious that's all!!

I am not sure "The Dot" can be deleted, but it may be turned off.

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch

Then set to "Off"

I hope this helps you out.

Hopefully someone can help me out:

How to reach Siri from " The Dot?"

I just realized that Siri was not enabled on my iPad.

Last edited:

Jarhead57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I no longer use the home button. I found these tips in my November issue of Mac|Life:

Home Screen When you're in an app put your thumb and four fingers spread out on the screen, like you are claw-machine hand about to scoop up a toy. Pinch in, and the app "folds in" on itself, and you go right to the home screen -- no button required.

Multitasking bar Forget double tapping Home to see the multitasking bar. Just drag up with four or five fingers, and there is is. Tap the screen above the multitasking bar to close it up again. And don't forget the column, brightness, playback, and AirPlay controls if you swipe left-to-right on the bar, too. That's a much faster way to change the brightness than opening up the Settings app.

Quick app switching This is our favorite gesture of all: use five fingers to swipe from right-to-left on the screen, and you'll scroll between your apps -- the same apps you's see in the multitask bar, but full-screen apps, saved in their previous states. Once you're cycling through them, you can also swipe left-to-right to go back.

Hope you find these as useful as I have.

Thanks for the tips....maybe now my home button will last longer. As a "newbie" to Apple stuff I enjoy seeing these tip posts..

oleyellabuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hilarious. Great tip. I used to see people with that dot. Thought it was cool, but also thought it was a jailbreak feature!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Taxi!

image-3323423631.jpgHere you are, Gabriel.:D

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not sure "The Dot" can be deleted, but it may be turned off.

Actually at one point the dot disappeared from my screen until I had to reset the accessibility. Didn't know how it disappeared because I didn't do anything out of the ordinary but it sure was weird whatever happened.

Most reactions

Latest posts