What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian Sights

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't want to enjoy all off these postcard perfect pictures without saying thank you. I really like photos of faraway places. I guess I'm one of those armchair travelers The OB mentioned. Wow that's a lot of history! Thanks again!
Smiley face here!

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KELLERVIERTEL HEILIGENBRUNN, WINE CELLARS

During the short trip to Styria in June (musical club), we visited one of the wine cellars in Heiligenbrunn, Southern Burgenland. These wine cellars are part of the Naturpark (nature resort) in der Weinidylle (for more information: http://www.naturpark.at/index_en.htm).

Kellerviertel Heiligenbrunn consists of about 110 protected “wine cellars”, 56 of them are still straw-thatched. The buildings are not really cellars, but houses built with wood blocks and clay. The Kellerviertel is not a museum. All the wine cellars are private property.

It’s possible to take guided tours there, to get a first taste of the Uhudler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhudler).

Our tour started here:
image.jpeg

Some of the buildings:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

An old wine press:
image.jpeg

One of the vineyards:
image.jpeg

Btw: these photos were taken with my iPhone. I didn't take a camera with me. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KELLERVIERTEL HEILIGENBRUNN, WINE CELLARS

During the short trip to Styria in June (musical club), we visited one of the wine cellars in Heiligenbrunn, Southern Burgenland. These wine cellars are part of the Naturpark (nature resort) in der Weinidylle (for more information: http://www.naturpark.at/index_en.htm).

Kellerviertel Heiligenbrunn consists of about 110 protected “wine cellars”, 56 of them are still straw-thatched. The buildings are not really cellars, but houses built with wood blocks and clay. The Kellerviertel is not a museum. All the wine cellars are private property.

It’s possible to take guided tours there, to get a first taste of the Uhudler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhudler).

Our tour started here:
View attachment 66130
Some of the buildings:
View attachment 66131
View attachment 66132
View attachment 66133
View attachment 66134
An old wine press:
View attachment 66135
One of the vineyards:
View attachment 66136
Btw: these photos were taken with my iPhone. I didn't take a camera with me. :)
I'd never heard of these before. Thanks for posting about these wine cellars.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In - or better - near Althodis, also Southern Burgenland, it's possible to walk through treetops. The way has barrier-free access, and it's called "Baumwipfelweg" (treetop way). The way is located in Naturpark Geschriebenstein-Irottkö.

It's length is about 500 meters. There are 11 towers, the highest one about 20 meters high, connected by wooden bridges. The whole path is made of wood.

There are stations along the way, with informations about fauna and flora of the area. The stations also provide the information in braille.
image.jpeg

Here's the entrance:
image.jpeg

The treetop way:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One of the stations:
image.jpeg

And the view from the last/highest station:
image.jpeg

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A great set of photos with another slant on historic eastern Austria. Makes me want to visit that area. Thanks for the travelogue :)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A great set of photos with another slant on historic eastern Austria. Makes me want to visit that area. Thanks for the travelogue :)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk
You're welcome. :)

That's the area I'm able to visit easily. :oops:

The wine cellars are historic (built in the 18th or 19th century), the treetop way exists since 2010.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Carinthia, there's a miniature park called "Minimundus" (little world).
image.jpeg

Google

It's located near Klagenfurt/Wörthersee, and shows buildings from around the world, at a ratio of 1 : 25.
Just a few examples - the images were in one of my photo albums, and I had to take pictures to post them here, so sorry if they're not really great.
image.jpeg

When you enter the park, you'll find this globe.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We've been there some years ago, as perhaps visible.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Carinthia, there's a miniature park called "Minimundus" (little world).
View attachment 66149
Google

It's located near Klagenfurt/Wörthersee, and shows buildings from around the world, at a ratio of 1 : 25.
Just a few examples - the images were in one of my photo albums, and I had to take pictures to post them here, so sorry if they're not really great.
View attachment 66148
When you enter the park, you'll find this globe.
View attachment 66150

View attachment 66151
View attachment 66152
View attachment 66153
We've been there some years ago, as perhaps visible.
Thanks for the photos. I wonder how many people have bumped their heads walking under that miniature Eiffel Tower.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. I wonder how many people have bumped their heads walking under that miniature Eiffel Tower.
No idea. I don't remember whether or not I had to duck when I positioned myself for the photo, it's too long ago. Most people are not as tall as I'm, so if I can stand there without problems, I guess there won't be too many people bumping their heads there.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GROSSGLOCKNER HOCHALPENSTRASSE
(Photos from a photo album, so not best quality)

GroĂźglockner is Austria's highest mountain (3798 m), situated at the border between Carinthia and Tyrol. It's part of the Glockner group in Hohe Tauern, it's peak consists of two pinnacles: GroĂźglockner and Kleinglockner.
image.jpeg

The only way to get there by car, is GroĂźglockner High Alpine road.

This road is open in certain months (May - October), and at certain times. It's closed at night. To use it, you have to pay a toll.
image.jpeg

Just a small part of the road, and this image doesn't really show how steep it is.

The road connects Bruck (Salzburg) with Heiligenblut (Carinthia), and was opened in 1936.

A few images from there
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

GroĂźglockner, seen from Heiligenblut
image.jpeg

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KAISER FRANZ JOSEFS HĂ–HE, PASTERZE GLACIER

Kaiser-Franz-Josepfs-Höhe is a point where you can view Großglockner and Pasterze from as close as possible. It's named after Franz Joseph I., Emperor of Austria.
image.jpeg

This is part of the viewpoint, and Pasterze glacier behind it.

There's a visitor's center, where you can park your car as well, a small path leads to Wilhelm Swarowski Observatory.
image.jpeg

It's also possible to walk down to the glacier, or use the railway to get there:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pasterze glacier:
image.jpeg

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the East...

The main attraction in my neighbour town Frauenkirchen is this church:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's called "Maria auf der Heide" (Mary on the heath). The baroque church, in it's current form, was built from 1695 to 1702. In 1990, it was declared a basilica minor (small basilica) by Pope John Paul II.

A (Franciscan) monastery was added in 1720. It's visible left of the church.

View from the entrance to the high altar:
image.jpeg

The altar, a bit closer:
image.jpeg

View from altar to choir stalls and organ loft, directly above the entrance:
image.jpeg

The ceiling's paintings were partially made by Luca Antonio Colomba. They're showing scenes from Jesus' life, and Mary's coronation.

The pulpit, made in 1713:
image.jpeg

There's also a Calvary, built in 1685, and transferred to it's current location in 1958, next to the basilica:
image.jpeg

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
The landmark of Donnerskirchen, the church of St. Martin, is clearly visible from far away.

The fortress church/mountain church was built by Prince Paul Esterházy in 1676. The baroque church was the last refuge of the local population in times of war (e.g. during the Turkish wars).

The church was strategically important during WW II. Just like Lake Neusiedl and Forchtenstein Castle, it was marked on every map of the Allies, thus serving as important pointer for allied bombers.

The church is often used for concerts.

It was closed when I went up there today. Here are the photos I could take:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507357.675503.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507422.292774.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507470.409899.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507507.169191.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507523.737056.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507535.434778.jpg

And the view from there
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507571.737109.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439507583.123221.jpg

My car down there