What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian Sights

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I showed this location in another thread last year, so here' just a short note:

This is Neusiedl am See's landmark - a ruin called Tabor.
image.jpg

It was supposedly built in the 14th century and could have been a watch tower.

Anyway, the view is breathtaking.
image.jpg

Lake Neusiedl
image.jpg

Jois

There's a path, leading from the town's center up to the ruin, sometimes with stairs. So it's possible to walk up there as well.

When I was a child, I used to roam around the area. There were smaller paths around the ruin. I didn't look for them today.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Schloss Rohrau
Castle Rohrau
In spite of my intentions, not to leave my district this year, I did so today, to visit three different locations. One of them was Schloss Rohrau.
It's located in Lower Austria, not far away from Burgenland, and belongs to the Harrachs, a former aristocratic family.
image.jpg

The castle, side view
image.jpg

Front view
image.jpg

There's an exhibition in it's rooms - pictures from Spain, Italy and the Netherlands. It's not allowed to take photos of the paintings, but I couldn't resist to take pictures of a few pieces of the furniture.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's one of the rooms:
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful views, Johanna! Does the ruin have a roof and floors?
Thank you!
It doesn't have a roof. If you walk inside, you see the sky. There's also not really a floor. There are stairs which lead to the top of the wall - the part with the railing.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My main reason to visit Rohrau today:

Joseph Haydn's birthplace
The house where famous composer Haydn was born.
image.jpg

A view from the street
image.jpg

The inner yard
The room where Joseph and Michael Haydn were born:
image.jpg

Of course this is not the original furniture.
Living room:
image.jpg

In 1899, a fire had destroyed almost the entire house. The ceiling of the living room didn't collapse, though.
A pianoforte:
image.jpg

Here's a square piano from 1809:
image.jpg

I was allowed to take pictures, but the use of the flash was not allowed. I used my IXUS to take these pictures, so they might not be as good as usual.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And here's the third location I visited in Lower Austria:

Schloss Hof
Hof palace
To show it's location:
image.jpg

Google Maps

A plan to show the area:
image.jpg

This castle once was owned by Prince Eugene: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Eugene_of_Savoy, was later purchased by Maria Theresia of Austria, and became part of the imperial estates.

To look at everything that's possible there would take a whole day. I needed two hours, just to walk through the gardens (and take almost 300 pictures :oops:) - and I was walking the whole time.

The castle - two different views
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As visible, many people also considered it a very good idea to take a look at the location.

Just a few impressions
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are a few photos that I'd like to show too, but I have to resize them, so I'll post them later.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those photos Johanna! What an absolutely gorgeous place! Really really beautiful in every way possible! Diane.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those photos Johanna! What an absolutely gorgeous place! Really really beautiful in every way possible! Diane.
Thank you, Diane! :)

It's a lovely, quiet place, and there are lots of benches, inviting to sit down and enjoy the beauty and silence of the gardens. And it mostly is quiet, although many people visit it.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It reminds me of the Mission - not far from here! The bells are an exact copy of the ones in London, England! They ring twice a day! It is also a place of serenity and beauty from every angle!:)

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful views, Johanna! Does the ruin have a roof and floors?
I was there again today, so here's to show what it looks like inside:

It consists of four walls, about 2 m thick, only one "door", something that could be a window, and nothing else.

Here's a different view of the ruin:
image.jpg

And now to the "interior":

The wall to the right of the entrance:
image.jpg

The wall with the entrance:
image.jpg

The wall opposite the door:
image.jpg

And a part of the last wall, with an opening:
image.jpg

The only entrance or way out:
image.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - love all of your Austrian pics, but the Haydn ones piqued my interest. I'm a long time classic music listener & collector - now own over 4000 CDs of classical music (been adding since 1984) - the two MOST represented composers are JS Bach & Joseph Haydn - just looked at my database and have nearly 300 CDs of Papa Joe's music (now there are duplicates, e.g. different performers or more importantly for me, the use of 'period vs. modern' instruments). Thanks for sharing! Dave :)

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - love all of your Austrian pics, but the Haydn ones piqued my interest. I'm a long time classic music listener & collector - now own over 4000 CDs of classical music (been adding since 1984) - the two MOST represented composers are JS Bach & Joseph Haydn - just looked at my database and have nearly 300 CDs of Papa Joe's music (now there are duplicates, e.g. different performers or more importantly for me, the use of 'period vs. modern' instruments). Thanks for sharing! Dave :)
Thank you, Dave!
Haydn is one of the Austrian composers which my students get to know, so it was interesting for me as well to see his birthplace.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Great photos Johanna! A wonderful glimpse into your magic world! Thank you for posting these beautiful photos! And a history lesson on top! An interesting combo! All thumbs up!!!

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you happen to visit Bernstein, you'll also have to stop here to enjoy the view:
image.jpg

That's a resting spot, and here's what the place looks like:
image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's what you can see, from different points of view:
image.jpg

This is a part of Bernstein
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Most reactions