What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio output to other systems is too silent

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried connecting the audio output on iPad3 to line-in on my laptop, to line-in on the 5.1 Creative's speaker system, and to line-in on SB X-Fi (not all at once, of course :) ). In all cases, the music/sounds from the iPad were playing very silently, despite its volume was to the max (as a side note, the overlay volume notification when changing the iPad volume read "headphones"). The keyboard (and other system's) clicks weren't even heard.
If I connect various earpieces/headphones to that iPad's output, the sound is fine (and I can also hear system clicks normally). Is there some setting that can change the output, or is the impedance not right, and some preamp is needed to use iPad with external sound systems?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure whether this will help, but there are several distinct volume stings on an iPad, all changed with the single control.

Sound effects, headphones, music and Bluetooth all have separate settings.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it hidden somewhere? It's been a while since I went through all possible settings in Settings. I know there's a volume slider where you can adjust the ringtones/effects sounds (and disable "change with volume"), but that only applies to these system sounds. That's been set on day one and is OK.

And then there are per-app volume sliders within apps (which in my experience usually work hand in hand with the hardware volume when the app is on). In this case, Garage Band's volume slider was at the right-most position (it would of course move either by touching it on screen, or by pressing the volume buttons on the side).

I think the bluetooth headphones' settings is also stored, but likely not relevant in this case.

What I'm probably looking for is (judging by the "headphones" written on the screen overlay volume indicator) how to convince iPad that that's not "headphones" connected there. But then again, the writing might just indicate which kind of volume the device remembers, and has nothing to do with output impedance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The "headphones" on the overlay simply indicates that the volume being changed by the switches is the iPads headphone socket. The iPad doesn't know what is actually connected to it.

Similarly, if you connect BlueTooth speakers or headset, the volume should indicate BlueTooth on the screen. If nothing is connected, it will default to sound effects or, if this is disabled, internal speaker.

I use a simple lead to connect the iPad headphone socket to my truck radio. The volume supplied is adequate so to answer your initial question, a preamp should not be required.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you need to be looking on your PC, not on the iPad. If you are using the headphone jack to output sound, then you have to make sure the PC can use that signal and that the amplification levels are set correctly.

For example, I frequently use the headphone input on my Logictech 5.1 speaker system with my iPad and never have problems. You might try this just to confirm that it works.

Right click on the little speaker icon on the taskbar in Windows and get into the mixer and fiddle around in there (or go into control panel). And try to use a headphone jack if you can as the iPad's signal is designed for that rather than for line in inputs, but that should work too but you may need to adjust levels in the mixer.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The "headphones" on the overlay simply indicates that the volume being changed by the switches is the iPads headphone socket. The iPad doesn't know what is actually connected to it.

Similarly, if you connect BlueTooth speakers or headset, the volume should indicate BlueTooth on the screen. If nothing is connected, it will default to sound effects or, if this is disabled, internal speaker.

I use a simple lead to connect the iPad headphone socket to my truck radio. The volume supplied is adequate so to answer your initial question, a preamp should not be required.

I find on mine (3rd gen still on 5.1.1) it can tell the difference between at least the two headphones I have and use, giving each it's own volume level. By this I can set the volume all the way up on my over the ears set, set the volume at 1/4 on my earbuds and when I switch headphones the volume will default to the last set for each separately going to full blast plugging in the over the ears and back to 1/4 for the buds (or what ever level I left each of them on at last use)

Most reactions

Latest posts