What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attaching a file (not photo) to an email reply

mikos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to reply to an email and attach a file (word doc, pdf, etc.) from my iPad, dropbox, etc. Is this possible? I know I can send any file as a new email but can I somehow reply to an email and send an attachment. I've tried one suggested workaround about copy/paste but it didn't work. Are there any methods to do this simple task?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My method is to create a link in Dropbox, then copy and paste the link into the email, the recipient can then download the attachment at their leisure.

The Archangel

OP
M

mikos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need the ability to actually attach the file to the email reply, usually a PDF or Word Doc. Anyone?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to add attachments in the Mail program, just work arounds.

The one I heard of that seemed closest to what you want involves several steps.

• Reply to the email, then tap and hold in the body of the email for the popup menu. Copy, then cancel (delete) the reply.
  • Go to the app with the document and chose to send it by email.
  • Tap and hold in the body of that email and choose paste from the popup menu.
  • Add whatever other text you want.
  • Edit the To and Subject fields (includ the RE: if you want). This info will be in the pasted part of the body.
  • Send.

If you tell us why you have to send the attachment instead of a link, and what email provider you are using maybe someone can come up with a better solution; but I doubt it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a solid wi-fi connection CloudOn may now offer you a solution. They just added email and Box.com support. They already have DropBox support. Given this combination you should be able to upload a document to one of those cloud services, then use email in CloudOn to send the reply with attachment.

I'm assuming they let you set up any email account you want here, not use some special CloudOn email address. I'm pretty sure that is true, but I could be wrong.

I'm also not sure whether this is still the free service, or whether they've moved to a subscription model for the extra features like OnLive has.

OP
M

mikos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main reason is I use my iPad for work. I think it's more professional to reply to the email thread in turn with an attachment if necessary, as I normally would in Outlook. Basically I am trying to replicate my Outlook workflow on my iPad. I can do 99% of it except attach a file to an inline email reply.

My account is set up via exchange if that helps. I don't think there is a way to do so but I will use your workaround you listed above. That should be enough to give the feeling of an inline reply. Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Though I think you'll find that many professionals are moving to cloud storage and shared links too. Box.com is a becoming a big deal in business file sharing, and DropBox is practically a household name these days.

As a receiver of emails I much prefer the link. It makes the actual email faster, and I can choose when and where to download the file.

As predicted, I can't think of any other work arounds.

Good Luck.

syang101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, For any of you who have been looking for ways to attach files when replying or forwarding a mail.

There is a new App available - Called "Email Reply".
https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id780069308?mt=8

It is pretty basic, but it supports POP and IMAP and major email accounts such as Google mail, Yahoo mail, Microsoft Hotmail, iCloud mails etc. For you company accounts, as long as you know your POP and IMAP settings, then it would work for you.

I tried attach several files in a email reply, and it worked just what many of you wished a iPad could do.

Another nice thing is that you could open multiple email accounts at once or open multiple attached files at once in a browser like user interface.

And it supports cloud, Wifi, Open in as well, so you could get files in and out easily. I am a small business owner, it works for me well. I could manage all my email accounts in this App. I have a sense that this App would evolve over time.

Ukamaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They give me a link to attach my files but only my picture will come out instead of my files

Ukamaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pls I want apply for job but I can't attach my file to the link they provided for me

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iCab Mobile browser will work with most websites. You need to copy the file into the iCab app first, by downloading it in the browser or using Open In from the app that created it. After that you will be able to browse to the file when you encounter the (Chose File) button in a browser.

This works with most websites, but due to the many different methods sites can use for uploading files it does not work with every site.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts