What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Data 2X Verizon?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A recent report possible due to VZ having the iPad and iPhone, shows that on average, AT&T has twice the speed as Verizon on data transfers. It ought to make some interesting commercials with VZ touting their voice advantage and AT&T bragging about their data speeds.

pinaklonkar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand. For the time I possessed an iPhone 3Gs, I was constantly annoyed by the slow 3G/EDGE speeds on AT&T back in 2010 in New York city, NY and in areas around Chicago, IL. I sold the phone and moved to Verizon with a blackberry for work. The blackberry sucks so much for usability that I can't say it in words. But for voice and overall data speeds, it is working like a charm. It is just that despite the speeds, blackberry-like devices make it almost useless :p But on an HTC incredible, the data speeds were really good on Verizon.

I am now seeking to buy a tablet, most possibly iPad 2, and I am still struggling to understand which one's the right one. Whether it is AT&T just because it is GSM, and people saying that the data speeds are better, or Verizon, which has shown me that the data, when you have a good device, is lightening fast.

MuktownPat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first iPad was AT&T and worked great for me in S.E. Wisconsin. When I purchased my iPad 2 I ended up going with Verizon simply because that's all I could get my hands on. I was very concerned after reading all the online reviews, etc talking about the difference in speed but actually I've so far found my new Verizon iPad to be faster. Not sure if it's simply the faster processor of iPad 2 or if it's the connection but so far I'm pleased with my decision. When I had AT&T I rarely went over the 250 MB allowance and when you get close you receive a notification and can simply start a new billing period for another $15. I'm thinking that the Verizon plan will work similar but I may not find out since I will probably not come close to using the 1GB.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

nolake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T or Verizon

I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin near the Michigan (Upper Peninsula) border and don't know if I should go with AT&T or Verizon when I purchase an IPAD2. Any advise from anyone in that area would be helpful.
Also, is a 16GB enough memory....using it only for emails, some photos, and web surfing.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's crucial that you try both out where you live and use the iPad. At least borrow a friend's ATT iPhone 4 and Verizon iPhone 4. Load the same graphics-heavy web sites. You will probably see a clear difference. Who cares what numbers someone came up with in a lab.

I had an ATT iPad for almost a year. Where I live and work data speeds would drop to a crawl and stall in the afternoon on workdays (when I need it the most!) In many parts of Boston and New England I had no coverage at all.

I thought this was just the nature of 3G data until I bought my Verizon iPhone 4. It was exactly the same speed in the best of conditions, but at least twice as fast during peak network usage periods. The difference was incredible. So I bought the Verizon iPad 2 even though it meant giving up my ATT unlimited plan.

When I actually checked my data usage with ATT I was using less than 700mb per month, even with fairly heavy web surfing all day, so I went with the Verizon 1GB plan which is cheaper than anything ATT offers.

ATT fans will jump in and restate some tests that only apply to uncrowded networks. In many cities, particularly larger markets, the truth is that ATT's network is so congested during prime times of the day that 3g is practically useless. Try them both and go with what really works where you live.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check coverage maps

I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin near the Michigan (Upper Peninsula) border and don't know if I should go with AT&T or Verizon when I purchase an IPAD2. Any advise from anyone in that area would be helpful.
Also, is a 16GB enough memory....using it only for emails, some photos, and web surfing.

Check the coverage maps for both AT&T and Verizon. You can plug in your address and zip code in both for more info on service availability. Just make it a point to look at the data coverage, not voice. There's a difference. I know that in many areas of the UP, you can't get any kind of coverage.

I have both maps open and data coverage is more spotty for Verizon than AT&T in the UP as well as most of Northern Michigan. The thing I hate about the Verizon map is that it has no zoom, so you're stuck looking at the big picture rather than your own area.

I'm about 40 miles from the Straits of Mackinac and went with AT&T because it offers better data coverage in my region.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2x on check with your friends and compare their data and experience in your locations. In the New England area at least with ATT once you get away from the urban areas or Interstate areas ATT is going to go to Edge speeds if not slower. Verizon has much better coverage at least in my neck of the woods.

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, as a customer of both ATT and VZW, and after using iPhone 4's from both, I've found that "2 times faster" idea to be total bullish. In many areas ATT may be a littler faster, but that has varied with VZW being a little faster. Either way, I have noticed much of a difference in browsing, downloading apps, etc. Even when I've tethered.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The coverage maps for my area for AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are HOPELESSLY optimistic!

Most reactions