What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any hard plastic screen cover for the iPad?

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a hard screen plastic cover for an iPad like the otterbox has. To clarify, I am talking about the transparent built in cover than otterbox has which surprisingly does not affect the touch screen sensitivity at all. Anyone Know of something similar? Otterbox is a little out of my budget and plus I do not like the look of the otterbox as a whole.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything like this at all. Unless you have specific reasons for wanting a cover such as this, best bet is to take your iPad into BestBuy and get them to install a screen protector for you. That way, you can save yourself the problem of getting bubbles and dust.

I have to admit I was surprised when I put my iPhone into an Otterbox that there was no degradation in the sensitivity of the screen. I can see why you would want something similar. Have a look at the websites of our supporting vendors. Some of them have some good stuff for sale at good prices.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem that gets reported a lot with screen protectors is the prismatic rainbow effect that many plastic ones produce. Only way I can see to avoid that is to read the reviews and maybe see the protectors your friends are using.

SGP is accepting pre-orders for their tempered-glass Glas.t protector, which looks to be the ultimate foolproof, overkill solution, but it's $70 for the iPad.

I'm getting a new iPad on June 1, and I'm on the fence over screen protection. Seems like a good idea, but then I've never had a screen like the retina display, and I'd hate to compromise it in any way. Questions begetting more questions ...

fausley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A plastic screen cover will definitely affect the touch screen. You probably should just get a screen protector. ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD is a good choice.

OP
I

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U would be surprised how good the plastic screen of otterbox is. I have used zagg and it just kills the feel of the touch screen. Not smooth at all. I have used sgp crystal one which is the worst ever. Just using the card to get rid of the bubbles ended up scratching the screen protector itself beyond repair. Right now I m trying armor suit. Just installed it and it feels better than zagg but let's see how durable this is. But still not even comparable to the otterbox plastic screen

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't talk for the iPad version, but the iPhone Otterbox screen protector made no difference to the look or feel of the screen.

I can only assume that the iPad version would be up to the same standard.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
I

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem that gets reported a lot with screen protectors is the prismatic rainbow effect that many plastic ones produce. Only way I can see to avoid that is to read the reviews and maybe see the protectors your friends are using.

SGP is accepting pre-orders for their tempered-glass Glas.t protector, which looks to be the ultimate foolproof, overkill solution, but it's $70 for the iPad.

I'm getting a new iPad on June 1, and I'm on the fence over screen protection. Seems like a good idea, but then I've never had a screen like the retina display, and I'd hate to compromise it in any way. Questions begetting more questions ...

The screen by itself is very scratch proof. I have had iPad 1 for close to two years and now iPad 3. I have used both for an extended amount of time without any screen protection (iPad 1 for a year without screen protection) and haven't had a single scratch on it. Not even hairline. But still I would prefer a screen protector that wouldn't take anything away from the touchscreen

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is just no way that plastic will feel as good or as smooth as the glass screen. I've never used screen protectors on anything. They are a complete waste of money to get a worse experience.

Most reactions

Latest posts