What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps...

Eddieboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my new iPad today and one question has come up...

If there is an app for the iPad that I already have for my iPhone 4 do I have to pay for that as well or can I download the iPad version for free?

Also to ask should I sync my iPad to my iPhone settings or start as a new device as I noticed my iPhone data is not transferred to the apps on iPad.

On the side note loving my new iPad!

Last edited:

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Q1: Nope, if you want the iPad (optional) version of app, then you pay. BTW: The one's specific to the pad will display much nicer.
Q2: I sycn'ed to my existing itunes account since I ditched my iPhone. I also disabled my iPhone apps whenever I could find an iPad version. Some iPhone apps ended up crashing my iPad, or the app just hung and never completed the install.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some developers make their apps universal (plus sign near price in app store), some make separate apps. In the second case you will have to buy the app again if you want it to look good on the iPad. Universal app look and work fine (if the app looks/works fine at all) on both devices.

If you don't mind them being small in the center of the screen, or double pixels for full screen you can run the iPhone version. A few iPhone apps actually work and look fairly good in 2X mode. Bejeweled is one. However, the iPad version usually not only looks better, but offers a UI designed to take advantage of the bigger screen.

Last edited:

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, some universal apps are comaptible with iPad and iPhone, then you can just download the iPhone version to iPad.
For iPad apps, think this list of best iPad apps might interest you ;)
Best iPad 2 apps - Pocket-lint

Most reactions