What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps wont update on iPad 2

Melmc1403

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When there are updates available for my iPad 2, I click to update them. However when I do this a message comes up saying 'Cannot download the app at this time' and I can either retry or hit done. This is happening nearly all the time. I have 12gb free so memory is not an issue. Can anyone help? Thanks

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if you sign out of your account and sign again...that might fix it?

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this occur on wi-fi or 3g. I had the same problem on wi-fi at home. Reset your router and it may fix the problem.

OP
Melmc1403

Melmc1403

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying guys. I have logged out and back into my iTunes account and nothing has changed. Ive checked to see if there are any pending downloads like podcasts that may affect it but no nothing. I have had this problem on both wifi and 3G and also on my iPhone 4S........HELP!! :)

chuchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Melmc1403 said:
Thanks for replying guys. I have logged out and back into my iTunes account and nothing has changed. Ive checked to see if there are any pending downloads like podcasts that may affect it but no nothing. I have had this problem on both wifi and 3G and also on my iPhone 4S........HELP!! :)

Hi there,

Reinstall the ipad only solution i think.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the app that you are having problems with? Just to rule it out, is your device on 5.1? If not it may be that the app requires you to be on 5.1 (I think the iMovie update requires that).

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had this issue recently also, the only fix I found to work was to simply delete the app and re download it. I think my issue arose because I had about 70 updates to install and when I selected update all it got so far then I had the same error message you got. At one point none of the updates would work. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the VLC player which I heard was taken off the app store so it would not fetch the update, leaving most of my apps with a small black loading bar on each app and would not open or update. This also happened with IBooks for some reason. Eventually I deleted a few problem apps and it just resolved itself from there then i download them again and everything worked smoothly. This has been happening to a few members recently. I'm on an 5 month old iPad 2 on 5.0.1.

Steck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, do I have to update? Can I delete or get rid of the update? So the number isn't there by the icon. Something's say they are for the 3.0. OS, I have 5.0.1 do I need to update anyway? What do you think?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steck said:
Well, do I have to update? Can I delete or get rid of the update? So the number isn't there by the icon. Something's say they are for the 3.0. OS, I have 5.0.1 do I need to update anyway? What do you think?

Hi and welcome to the Forum

It's always recommended to do an update unless the update removes or changes something within the app that you would rather not do. There is no way to get rid of the notification for an update unless you happen to be Jailbroken.

Incubus6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When there are updates available for my iPad 2, I click to update them. However when I do this a message comes up saying 'Cannot download the app at this time' and I can either retry or hit done. This is happening nearly all the time. I have 12gb free so memory is not an issue. Can anyone help? Thanks

Hey guys I have the same issue as above. I have 9 updates stuck and I cannot use the apps. New apps and new updates for other apps (not in those 9) are downloaded from the app store. Please help.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incubus6 said:
Hey guys I have the same issue as above. I have 9 updates stuck and I cannot use the apps. New apps and new updates for other apps (not in those 9) are downloaded from the app store. Please help.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Is your iPad updated to the latest OS? Apps are all updated whenever the iPad is updated so if your iPad hasn't been this could be a reason why some apps will not update. What happens when you tap on these updates, do they change to Paused? Tapping them again sometimes gets them moving to update..
Also have a look in your iTunes app, do you have any downloads pending? If you do swipe them to bring up the delete tab then delete them and your apps should then update by tapping them again. This has been a problem for many and that was the issue as you should never have both these apps updating and downloading at the same time.

Updates for apps can also be done in iTunes on your PC and this may be a good idea if the above doesn't work for you. Let us know.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Incubus6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I have the latest IOS and I have nothing downloading in iTunes. When I tap the app it changes for a couple of seconds to Waiting... And then it changes back to its name. After 4-5 seconds a message pops up that sais app cannot be downloaded at this time and it gives me 2 options to select, Done or Retry. If i tap retry, the situation is repeated.

The thing that is strange is that this issue happend only for 9 apps that I tried to update them at a public wireless network all at once (update all) and they got stuck. Any other updates that were launched at app store for other apps (after the above 9 apps were stuck) have been succesfully updated. I also tried to download the 9 updates from my home network, i logged out from my itunes and relogged in and the 9 apps are still stuck.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe you need to download on wifi vs your 3G / 4G service?

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts