What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"app cannot be downloaded at this time" PLEASE HELP

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am able to get into the PDF reader pro app, by opening a pdf in Safari and opening it with 'open with pdf reader pro' option. *once in i can navigate the app like normal, but if i switch to another app, i have to repeat that process. *its rather inconvient to do, but if thats the only way, i may bite the bullet and work with those few extra steps. *Within the app, the only way I see to move the apps out is through email. *It also has an iCloud folder. *Do you know if I move the PDFs i need into that folder, would they be saved in the cloud to where I can delete and redownload the app later?

Okay. I give up on trying to get your updates to download. Let’s just focus on saving those PDFs so you can delete that app for later reinstall.

I would assume that you can use iCloud. I say assume because I don’t use iCloud and so I don’t know for sure. But - my guess is yes. Just try one document and then open it in another app to see if it works. Then, if it does work, upload them all. Then, you can delete the app and re-load it. Since I’m a “Nervous Nellie,†I would make sure all of them were in the iCloud (and could be successfully downloaded) before I deleted that app. But, Apple gives out 5GB of storage, so why not use it?

If that doesn’t work, I was reading about this app (I assume we are talking about the “PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad at $9.99?). There were a couple of things I noticed:

1) The iTunes description says you can do “Wi-Fi web sharing (to easily transfer your PDF files).†Do you have ANY access to any computer on the same Wi-Fi? Cause then you can just borrow it to move your files over…

OR…

2) The description also says you can “Upload/download PDF files directly from the Web.†Not only does that support the iCloud theory, but what about other cloud storage, like Dropbox? You get free 2GB storage and the app is free in the App Store.

Last - this one’s a bit out of the box, but hey, desperate measures, right?

E-mail! Now wait, before you roll your eyes.

a) Dropbox (with its 2GB of storage) has had someone write a mini program that will allow you to send attachments to your Dropbox account. See this link: *Send To Dropbox - Email files to your Dropbox!. Now, I’ve just tested it and it still works fine (I sent a 700kb PDF to my Dropbox email I set up with this link).

b) You can also get a free Evernote account. After you register (the app is free from the App Store), you can set up an e-mail account for direct mailing to Evernote. The free version allows 60B of uploads to the free account a month, but it should be enough, or plenty. Then, you can open the PDF in your Evernote account and use the “Open In†function.

c) There are many other online storage sites that allow you to email into them. Off the top of my head, I don’t know what they are - but I am sure they exist. Oh! I don’t know if they have the option, but look at SugarSync and Box.net cloud storage. That's a start at names ... there are many.

Worse comes to worse, set up and email them to a Gmail account. Gmail gives you a LOT of storage and you don’t have to put the account on the iPad - you can access it via the Web. So, no overload of your iPad’s storage.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is the limitation set up by your PDF Reader Pro app: It says you can “email PDF files directly from the application [but only] (files up to 10MB).â€

Hopefully, some of this will help. I’m sorry, but I think this is your only option - get those PDFs out of that app (hurray that you can access it, right?) and then delete it.

Good luck and, as always, let us know how you’re getting on.

Marilyn

OP
O

obz476

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the help. I ended up moving all my pdfs to the iCloud storage folder in PDF Reader Pro, deleted the app and reloaded it from the purchased section in my AppStore. All of my PDFs were still there and I was able to move most of them back to the folders in my iPad. I few won't download at the moment, but I'm working on that. Now I can get to work! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Andrew

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear back from you - and that you were able to get it all sorted. Sorry you had such a time of it.

And, thanks for coming back and telling us that your issue was resolved. Always nice to hear "success" stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts